Troubleshooting Models & Simulations

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: Troubleshooting Models & Simulations

Post by bernd »

all that profile stuff is easy, most is possible with FreeCAD allready. No I mean the nice bending moment diagramms.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

bernd wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:50 pm No I mean the nice bending moment diagramms.
Hello Bernd,
for my daily work the stresses are the relevant plot. Even if you can generate the momentum-diagrams
you need the profile tables (moment of inertia and s.o....) to calculate the stresses.
My opinion: do not waste time/work to develop 1D-elements in ccx/FC. There was a discussion
about that (the "faked-beam-element", I cant find the post...)
btw: 4H-Frap is a comercial software, the source code is not open like in FC.
There is no possibility to add new features via python or c++ like users do in FC.
So I must believe the results...(which I do after 25 years of work with 4H-Frap) :)
Thomas
stresses.JPG
stresses.JPG (87.98 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
FemUser

Post by FemUser »

I am happy to have beam elements. Found them in the GUI. With the example you provided I am hoping to successfully model a truss.

I did not explain myself correctly on my previous question. On this example I will be focusing on surface elements. I know I can define globally element size on the line, surface and volume. Can I define on the target surface x devisions and y devisions. On my sketch I have a rectangular surface I defined 5 divisions on one side and 3 devisions on the other.
SurfaceMesh.png
SurfaceMesh.png (76.39 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Another question I have is to know if it is possible to have multi body part and mesh it as a single entity.
BodyMesh.png
BodyMesh.png (181.42 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Also is it possible to have a body with one surface attached to it. I don't know what to call this.
CombinedMesh.png
CombinedMesh.png (118.28 KiB) Viewed 1817 times

These are tasks I perform in proprietary software, slicing bodies or surfaces in preparation for meshing.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

thschrader wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:26 pm
bernd wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:50 pm No I mean the nice bending moment diagramms.
for my daily work the stresses are the relevant plot. Even if you can generate the momentum-diagrams
It does not matter if it is stress, bending moment diagramm or normal force or what ever. The problem is we need some algorithm to graphical plot some nice scaled area graphics on the lines (beam lines) of a model.

Bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

FemUser wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 pm I am happy to have beam elements. Found them in the GUI. With the example you provided I am hoping to successfully model a truss.

I did not explain myself correctly on my previous question. On this example I will be focusing on surface elements. I know I can define globally element size on the line, surface and volume. Can I define on the target surface x devisions and y devisions. On my sketch I have a rectangular surface I defined 5 divisions on one side and 3 devisions on the other.

SurfaceMesh.png

Another question I have is to know if it is possible to have multi body part and mesh it as a single entity.

BodyMesh.png

Also is it possible to have a body with one surface attached to it. I don't know what to call this.

CombinedMesh.png

These are tasks I perform in proprietary software, slicing bodies or surfaces in preparation for meshing.
for body mesh see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 88#p192974 for combined mesh just use mesh region object. for surface mesh with defined count numbers of elements per edge, you would need python or manually edit the gmsh input file.
FemUser

Post by FemUser »

Thanks Bernd. Have to study your references, will come back after.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

example for body with surface ...
body_with_surface.fcstd
(450.54 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

screen.jpg
screen.jpg (243.01 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

and a more sophisticated example for mesh regions with different element size on edges, faces and solids ...
meshregion.fcstd
(636.77 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

screen.jpg
screen.jpg (133.53 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

bernd wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:43 pmThe problem is we need some algorithm to graphical plot some nice scaled area graphics on the lines (beam lines) of a model.
What about the code that is used for the sketcher b-spline curvature comb?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

saso wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 am
bernd wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:43 pmThe problem is we need some algorithm to graphical plot some nice scaled area graphics on the lines (beam lines) of a model.
What about the code that is used for the sketcher b-spline curvature comb?
this exactly what we need, If someone starts to implement it in FreeCAD this would be a point to start!