beam analysis with beams in z-direction

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: beam analysis with beams in z-direction

Post by bernd »

In the regard of beam rotation object I now have a plan! I will push a commit which shows my idea today, hopefully ... I'm curious about your opinion.

bernd
FemUser

Post by FemUser »

The FEM mesh group is a great feature but seems hidden in the mesh. Here is an example of the simplest location for it to be:
namespaces.png
namespaces.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
The FEM module is great, it just needs a bit of tweaking the GUI here and there. This will come with time.
When we create the group we need to use it in the constrains or loads or any other place so there should be a place to use it.
currentapproach.png
currentapproach.png (9.41 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
ansysapproach.png
ansysapproach.png (6.48 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
But this is off topic. Maybe these images can help for a future GUI adjustment.
FemUser

Post by FemUser »

I think we have everything we need to bypass the z axis bug with class 8-) . We just need a clear definition of what we want. I am looking forward to look at your Git version.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

in the regard of your screens. This is exactly what I do not want! In FreeCAD we define the bcs on the geometry not on the mesh. The gui user does not need to use groups. They are only needed if one would like to only create the mesh with FreeCAD. IMHO
FemUser

Post by FemUser »

Hum in ansys you also define on the geometry not on the mesh :geek:. You can see the icon of mesh separated from the named selections. In LS dyna you define on the mesh. I like to use the two. 8-) However in Ansys you can use the named selections to apply boundary conditions. Ahhh this is nothing special just a dropdown box with a list of the named selection we built. On complex models where you don't want to get in and out to check what was selected it is useful.
img1.png
img1.png (9.53 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
See the named selections in action when applying a fixed constraint:
img2.png
img2.png (8.46 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
So you don't like much the mesh based modelling approach of LS-Dyna :p Still I have to say that a keyword manager would be very nice to have... at least one day 8-)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I do not see any antvantage to define on the mesh, only disadvantages. May be because I have never worked with this aproche to define on the mesh.

bernd
FemUser

Post by FemUser »

I think it is just a mind set thing. You work on the geometry and can extract edges, planes, ... but after a mesh is done you can do anything with it also, you just lose resolution and have a lot of dots :) if you can live with it its enough. If the mesh is good enough then I don't see why not to take advantage of it.
You can change node position, select any number of nodes in the model to extract data or define boundary conditions. But for me the most important thing is that you can work with the .K file or the .inp file. Just like LS-Dyna I am seeing myself using more and more the .inp file; for it holds access to many of the solvers features (specific element formulations and other stuff).
LS-Dyna.png
LS-Dyna.png (56.61 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
The keyword manager is basically a text parser and more; that fills out forms inside the program. All solver function are there so you do not need the manual to know the features to use in the solver.
LS-DynaKeywordManager.png
LS-DynaKeywordManager.png (35.28 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
For example in the material part you can define the parts that contain the elements and nodes to have a specific material. There is a MAT list where we can select. The advantage off this approach is that I have full acess to what the solver offers...
LS-DynaKeywordManager2.png
LS-DynaKeywordManager2.png (37.93 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
LS-DynaKeywordManager3.png
LS-DynaKeywordManager3.png (39.69 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Not all is perfect in LS-Dyna it is not easy to understand the usage flow. FreeCAD, Ansys are much simpler and easy to use.
But I think the combination of the two approaches is the sweet spot. 8-)
FemUser

Post by FemUser »

I am still trying to fork your version to see the updates. Unfortunately I am struggling with Github! :( :shock:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

FemUser wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 pm I am still trying to fork your version to see the updates. Unfortunately I am struggling with Github! :( :shock:
Check out Developing_FreeCAD_with_GitKraken it's a proprietary UI for git. It's free to use for non-commercial software.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... it/9efb39d not yet finished but it shows the direction ...

You are not the first one struggling with git, we all had to pass this problems. But once you got it, it's just amazing ... Just come up with your exact problem ...

bernd