Pipeline Min/Max values

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

OakLD

Pipeline Min/Max values

Post by OakLD »

Hello,

I have yet another pipeline question. Since there's nothing in https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/FEM_Pos ... FromResult yet and couldn't find anything regarding this.

When I get results, I select them and click "Post Pipeline from Results" and a "Pipeline" appears (well, that's a horrible and confusing name for a gradient scale :-)). First thing is, that minimum and maximum are never correct, even though I had selected i.e. von Mises stress in the previous dialog. A nice-to-have would be:
1) Create a pipeline/gradient scale automatically when results are created
2) When a different RadioButton in the results dialog is choosed, update MIN and MAX values of the scale accordingly (the same way and moment the Min/Avg/Max TextBoxes are updated).
I can't see any reasons against, but I understand I might miss some points or it can be terribly difficult to implement at this stage.

But OK, I can insert the values manually by double-clicking the scale. Here, a logical thing is, that I need to know minimum and maximum (which I get from the result dialog) and set those values here accordingly. However, this does not work as expected. When I set minimum to minimum and maximum to maximum (i.e. von Mises stress) values, I get expected scale. But the model (mesh) itself seems to work with a different logic and different scale. Even though a minum stress in my example is some 15000 MPa, and the whole model should be blue, it is not. It is all green, which seems to be near-zero for the mesh color interpreter and it sets it's values in between 0-green and Maximum_stress-red. The problem might be less noticeable, when you use properties containing [both positive and] negative values, but might be there too.
Possibly setting the scale to <-maximum_stress,maximum_stress> would work, but it is only a wild guess. So, does anybody know, what is a correct procedure to set the scale properly?
FC_12_pipeline.PNG
FC_12_pipeline.PNG (176.3 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
FC_13_pipeline.PNG
FC_13_pipeline.PNG (12.02 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
Regards,

Oak
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Pipeline Min/Max values

Post by sgrogan »

OakLD wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:43 pm First thing is, that minimum and maximum are never correct, even though I had selected i.e. von Mises stress in the previous dialog. A nice-to-have would be:
1) Create a pipeline/gradient scale automatically when results are created
I suspect you are showing the Result Mesh and the Pipeline is empty.
Double-click on Pipeline and set Mode to Surface and and Field to Von Mises stress. If it turns black go to
Edit > Preferences > Display > Enable backlight color.
Also make sure the Result mesh is not visible.
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Your are mixing two totally different things. In FreeCAD we have two totally independent result objects

- the standard FreeCAD FEM result object --> it is created on every CcxTools run --> it has NO color scale at all

- the enhanced VTK FEM result object --> it is created if you select a standard result object and click on the pipeline button --> it has a color bar, the one you see --> to change the displayed result double click on the new green pipeline object in tree view --> change to surface and your prefered result

- to adjust the color scale double click on the color scale

hope that helps bernd
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

I suspect you are showing the Result Mesh and the Pipeline is empty.
No, no it's not empty. The highest stress is in the root of the weld and not visible from this side - the design would need a modification, to releave it. If I turn the model around, you'll see a proper red spot colors.
FC_21.PNG
FC_21.PNG (151.47 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
Double-click on Pipeline and set Mode to Surface and and Field to Von Mises stress.
Oh, I finally got it, I was double-clicking the pipeline object in the model space all the time. Now I see the options you wrote about, when double-clicking the Pipeline container in the tree :-). Here, if I can select what's needed and the values get updated!

By the way, is it OK, that the Pipeline is shown separately in the root and not within the Analysis container? (as shown in the picture above)

Thank you for helping!
Regards,

Oak
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

bernd wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:26 pm Your are mixing two totally different things. In FreeCAD we have two totally independent result objects

- the standard FreeCAD FEM result object --> it is created on every CcxTools run --> it has NO color scale at all

- the enhanced VTK FEM result object --> it is created if you select a standard result object and click on the pipeline button --> it has a color bar, the one you see --> to change the displayed result double click on the new green pipeline object in tree view --> change to surface and your prefered result

- to adjust the color scale double click on the color scale

hope that helps bernd
You're right. I get it now and the colors now fit the scale.
FC_24.PNG
FC_24.PNG (88.75 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
I had that turned on (backlight), but somewhere along the way it switched off and I didn't notice. Well, now I'll remember :-).

Would it be helpful if I prepare some short Pipeline manual to be placed into now empty page https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/FEM_Pos ... FromResult? Someone of you, experienced guys, would have to check and aprove that... Also a little tutorial WITH the pipeline wouldn't harm - unless there is one, but I haven't find any. The pipeline name is very confusing to the search engines (and generally), I might have missed it.
Regards,

Oak
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

OakLD wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 pm Would it be helpful if I prepare some short Pipeline manual
Yes :D Any help with Wiki documentation is a huge plus. Thank you for the offer!
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 pm
OakLD wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 pm Would it be helpful if I prepare some short Pipeline manual
Yes :D Any help with Wiki documentation is a huge plus. Thank you for the offer!
+1 have a look at some other pages to see how they are structured. There are not many but there should be some in FEM. If not have a look at Draft and Arch. These are very good examples for good documentation.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

OakLD wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 pm By the way, is it OK, that the Pipeline is shown separately in the root and not within the Analysis container? (as shown in the picture above)
Never mind it does not really matter. But you are right this could be changed too. The VTK result object should be in the same analysis the FreeCAD result object is in. You can not even drop it in and out. This should be changed too. I may have a look, but there are some other issues around too.

bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

OakLD wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 pm The pipeline name is very confusing to the search engines (and generally), I might have missed it.
I have been thinking in renaming it too. A developer would know what is meant but for a user it is just another result object. May be name normal one FreeCAD result object and this one VTK result object. Any suggestions in this regard are highly welcome.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

bernd wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 pm I have been thinking in renaming it too. A developer would know what is meant but for a user it is just another result object. May be name normal one FreeCAD result object and this one VTK result object. Any suggestions in this regard are highly welcome.
Maybe Pipeline result object, unless Create pipeline is changed.

Another minor thing, just to put it on the radar. If you have multiple pipelines the color bar doesn't update when switching between them. I wouldn't expect it just on changing visibility, but double clicking on the pipeline object (entering edit mode) doesn't do it either. Changing anything, including changing the transparency slider, does the trick. I hope we don't need an active pipeline.
"fight the good fight"