FEM Weird Graphics

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

DACeerF-150

FEM Weird Graphics

Post by DACeerF-150 »

Just installed FreeCAD v0.17.13509.0258808 x64. I opened the sample file of FemCalculixCantilever3D_newSolver and get weird graphics from the SolverElmerResult in Surface Mode. Please see attached. I have installed the same version and opened the same file on three different PC's with Intel, AMD and nVidia graphics GPUs and both AMD and Intel CPUs. One PC was Windows 7 32bit another Windows 7 64bit and another on Windows 10 latest edition. Thanks in advance for any input.
Attachments
FreeCAD FEM.png
FreeCAD FEM.png (202.3 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
bernd
Veteran

Re: FEM Weird Graphics

Post by bernd »

when you double click on the result pipeline there should be an error message in the report window telling you what to do ... Did'nt you read it?

Backlight is not enabled. Due to a VTK implementation problem you really should consider to enable backlight in FreeCAD display preferences if you work with VTK post processing.
DACeerF-150

Post by DACeerF-150 »

First of all thanks for the speedy response. No I didn't double click on the result pipeline. This is my first time installing and looking at FreeCAD. I just pulled up the sample files to take a look at things and saw this weird anomaly. For a new-comer, seeing things like this makes one wonder that something is amiss. Anyway, thanks again for the solution and hope to learn a lot more about FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

DACeerF-150 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:16 am First of all thanks for the speedy response. No I didn't double click on the result pipeline. This is my first time installing and looking at FreeCAD. I just pulled up the sample files to take a look at things and saw this weird anomaly. For a new-comer, seeing things like this makes one wonder that something is amiss. Anyway, thanks again for the solution and hope to learn a lot more about FreeCAD.
Ahh good point, you just opened the example file, but did not change anything at the results. If you would like to change something in result viewing you need to double click on the object. But you just opended the file. Mhh to be honest I do not know how to trigger this seldom cas too. We may see the problem fixed anyway somehow ...

thanks for reporting. Bernd
kazan417

Post by kazan417 »

I think this is because of small mesh detalization. I saw same glitch in other products and remeshing with more fine mesh is helping but this is workarround, not solving problem fully.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

No this is because of wrong face normals, AFAIK. We would need to the node orders in our vtk implementation. But the workaround with the back light works fine and there are more important things to do ATM.