VTK pipeline, Broken warp filter

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

HarryvL
Veteran

VTK pipeline, Broken warp filter

Post by HarryvL »

[wiki][/wiki]Further to my comment in another post: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p233789 ...

I tried adding a warp filter in both the Windows version:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13522 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 3bb5ff4e70c0c526f2d9dd69b1004155b2f527f2
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Malaysia (en_MY)

and in the Ubuntu version:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13674 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 32f089f28408479ce65a22a753bb815ffe3d45ed
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

with the same result, i.e. I don't get a deformed mesh. This used to work OK in the past.

Deformed_Mesh_VM_VTK.png
Deformed_Mesh_VM_VTK.png (413.19 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

To show that the problem is not with the analysis results, I also copy the FC deformed mesh and the Paraview warp filter results below

Deformed_Mesh_VM_FC.png
Deformed_Mesh_VM_FC.png (333.49 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

-

Deformed_Mesh_VM_PV.png
Deformed_Mesh_VM_PV.png (93.58 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

I also found that the Windows version and Ubuntu version behave differently for the VTK clip filter. The Ubuntu version gives a clean result, but the Windiws version displays some quirky handles I can't get rid of. Is this difference in behavior intentional?

Cut_Mesh_VM_Windows.jpg
Cut_Mesh_VM_Windows.jpg (220.05 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Last edited by HarryvL on Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryvL
Veteran

Re: VTK pipeline

Post by HarryvL »

HarryvL wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:42 am I also found that the Windows version and Ubuntu version behave differently for the VTK clip filter. The Ubuntu version gives a clean result, but the Windiws version displays some quirky handles I can't get rid of. Is this difference in behavior intentional?
Hang on just a second, the handles (although slightly less quirky) are also present in the Ubuntu version. I don't think they were there in the past ?!

Combined_FC_VTK.png
Combined_FC_VTK.png (401.3 KiB) Viewed 1780 times

I also activate FC deformed mesh and VTK pipeline in the same plot to remove any doubt that this is the same analysis ... the VTK and FC meshes are not the same :shock:
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have always difficulties with the pipelines... i just don't understand them and pity enough there is no documentation and when i need them i just swap to the results... less temporary but faster on short term...

edit: I just tried something and noticed some weird behavior... the steps on windows
create new clipping and clipping move the value slider somewhere half way save close clip options
open the clipping again the min and max values are changed. move again the slider around halfway the slider save and close
open again the min and max values changed again...
... repeat proces forever... or till fixed
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I had a look. The postprocessing works fine, but the data trasfer to the pipeline fails. The displacement is not transfered from the result to the pipeline: all values are 0 for displacement. Hence warp does nothing.

Someone did change the code of data transfer but I don't know who exactly.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I may have an idea when this happened ... I would assume one of these commits ... https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... ingfengxia

I will have a look and try to fix it. Harry would you step by step explain how to use the wrap filter? Which icon? I have problems in remember how the pipelines work all the time ... Or post a simple file with a wrap filter.

bernd
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

bernd wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:32 am I may have an idea when this happened ... I would assume one of these commits ... https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... ingfengxia

I will have a look and try to fix it. Harry would you step by step explain how to use the wrap filter? Which icon? I have problems in remember how the pipelines work all the time ... Or post a simple file with a wrap filter.

bernd
Here is a test case ...
Warp_001.fcstd
(23.88 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

just to be sure ...

- open the file
- double click on WarpVector
- move the slider --> nothing happens :(
- change combo box to strain vector --> move the slider --> the mesh deforms --> :) --> this should happen at displacement too

This conforms ickbys post. The warp filter works, but the displacmement has no data and thus there is no movement.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 am edit: I just tried something and noticed some weird behavior... the steps on windows
create new clipping and clipping move the value slider somewhere half way save close clip options
open the clipping again the min and max values are changed. move again the slider around halfway the slider save and close
open again the min and max values changed again...
... repeat proces forever... or till fixed
i think there could be something wrong see behaviour i experienced...
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

bernd wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:17 am just to be sure ...

- open the file
- double click on WarpVector
- move the slider --> nothing happens :(
- change combo box to strain vector --> move the slider --> the mesh deforms --> :) --> this should happen at displacement too

This conforms ickbys post. The warp filter works, but the displacmement has no data and thus there is no movement.
Correct
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I'll have a look.