XC, opensource structural engineering FEM code

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

ebrahim raeyat

Re: XC, opensource structural engineering FEM code

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:28 pm You do structural analysis with the FEM software OpenSees? AFAIK you will need to mesh your geometry! Thus it is an interesting point which mesher do you use to mesh your geometry ATM? Or do you have not yet analysed structures in OpenSees? Or does OpenSees has its own mesher?
yes, I did structural analysis with OpenSees as i said, my thesis (in persian) was with OpenSees and for that i manually defined mesh geometry for soil.
osModelBurry.jpeg
osModelBurry.jpeg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
recently i did a pushover analysis. but although as i said, opensees has it's own mesh command that you can see in this page for liquid analyse. but i should check GMSH for mesh generation.
As soon as I find the free time, I will check out XC. very thanks for your reply.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:21 am As soon as I find the free time, I will check out XC. very thanks for your reply.
you just need to copy a few lines for ubuntu beaver ... https://github.com/xcfem/xc/blob/5fd337 ... s.linux.md
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:41 pm
ebrahim raeyat wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:21 am As soon as I find the free time, I will check out XC. very thanks for your reply.
you just need to copy a few lines for ubuntu beaver ... https://github.com/xcfem/xc/blob/5fd337 ... s.linux.md
thanks alot. I have manjaro as default linux system and ubuntu for experimental. i will exam it on manjaro.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I got a PM in the regard of installing xc on ubuntu beaver. I just write it here ...

the short way ...

install dependencies:

Code: Select all

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xcfem/xc/master/install/packages_install_ubuntu_bionic.sh
sudo bash packages_install_ubuntu_bionic.sh
clone, cmake, make, install, install python modules, run unit tests:

Code: Select all

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xcfem/xc/master/install/xc_code_install.sh
bash xc_code_install.sh
for the long way see:
https://github.com/xcfem/xc/blob/master ... l.linux.md

a side information ... recently xc_base has been included in xc_utils, means xc_base no longer exists!

For testing the installation the best way is to run the unit test !
https://github.com/xcfem/xc/blob/master ... tion-tests

bernd
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

bernd wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:24 pm
ebrahim raeyat wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:18 pm do you think it is valuable for working on it Seriously?
From what I have seen so far. Surely yes!
Even with license issues of OpenSees?
--
H.S.Rai
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:26 am I studied in IIEES (International Institute of earthquake engineering and seismology) and now i am studiyng in Phd degree. my thesis was with opensees in SSI (soil structure interaction). you can find article here. I also work with linux and python for many years and I love opensource world.
Nice to have you here :-)
--
H.S.Rai
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 am Arch WB is volume driven, structural engineering analysis worldwide is structural axis and midface driven. In Arch WB we started to implement these axis and faces for walls and structures, but it still needs some love to work on most use cases. This is why Arch and FEM are not yet connected in FreeCAD.
:-(

We should be able to create structural model, from 3D Architectural Model.

Is it damn difficult to do?

We may need to develop some good practices on how to make model, and may need to change / add in Arch workbench.
--
H.S.Rai
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:34 am I am not interested to implement a structural input gui as most proprietary structural engineering software has. I would like to save the structural engineering model inside the archtitectural geometry volume model with the structural axis and faces and the needed engineering properties. See last post.

Means I would like to go the BIM way.
+1
--
H.S.Rai
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 pm 2- I didn't work with FEM, but i don't want to analyse structure with FEM workbench. I want to build .tcl files for opensees to be analysed with opensees and then i read outputs and show the results. in fact i want using freecad for pre and post processing not for analysing. i use opensees for analysing.
FreeCAD don't do FEM analysis.

It uses FEM software like CalculiX, Elmer, Z88 and you may add to list xcfem, OpenSees and I may add FElt ;-)
--
H.S.Rai
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

hardeeprai wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:46 pm
bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 am Arch WB is volume driven, structural engineering analysis worldwide is structural axis and midface driven. In Arch WB we started to implement these axis and faces for walls and structures, but it still needs some love to work on most use cases. This is why Arch and FEM are not yet connected in FreeCAD.
:-(

We should be able to create structural model, from 3D Architectural Model.

Is it damn difficult to do?

We may need to develop some good practices on how to make model, and may need to change / add in Arch workbench.
No, not really. It just needs time to do the development for better tools to transfer the Arch structural axis into a analysis model.