FEM and python 3 issues

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Jee-Bee
Veteran

FEM and python 3 issues

Post by Jee-Bee »

I think it is an external WB or script...
but i think it is FEM related: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 90#p267390
bernd
Veteran

Re: FEM and python 3 issues

Post by bernd »

no it is not external, it is FreeCAD FEM ...

damn I still have not joined the Py3 party on my Linux dev machine. I will have a look at this with a win py3 dev release of sgrogan.

bernd
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

bernd wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 am no it is not external, it is FreeCAD FEM ...

damn I still have not joined the Py3 party on my Linux dev machine. I will have a look at this with a win py3 dev release of sgrogan.

bernd
FYI there is a Conda based AppImage available and therefore you don't need Windows to test it.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:59 pm FYI there is a Conda based AppImage available and therefore you don't need Windows to test it.
Is there a way to edit files (.py) in the AppImage? Testing is great, but we are counting on bernd to fix it.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:36 pm
triplus wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:59 pm FYI there is a Conda based AppImage available and therefore you don't need Windows to test it.
Is there a way to edit files (.py) in the AppImage? Testing is great, but we are counting on bernd to fix it.
Sure.

Code: Select all

downloaded.AppImage --appimage-extract
cd squashfs-root
You can navigate to content such as usr/Mod/Fem/module.py and do some modifications. To test the changes:

./AppRun
If you want to pack it again as an AppImage:

cd ..
wget "https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/releases/download/continuous/appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage"
chmod a+x appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage
./appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage squashfs-root
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

all this conda is like git. Once you have undersood it it's simple but if not it not usable at all. Whereas I have understood git, i have not yet understood all this conda ... May be it is because I have not given it a try. I will go for the win way ATM because it only needs 2 minutes to download the image.

bernd
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@triplus wow, very cool! Thanks for sharing
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

bernd wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 am all this conda is like git. Once you have undersood it it's simple but if not it not usable at all. Whereas I have understood git, i have not yet understood all this conda ... May be it is because I have not given it a try. I will go for the win way ATM because it only needs 2 minutes to download the image.

bernd
Instructions above are not for using Conda. As AppImage is only based on Conda (packages). Therefore if you will follow the procedure as outlined above on downloaded AppImage:

cd squashfs-root
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

You don't have to understand anything about Conda (or AppImage). You can start modifying .py files and test the changes by starting FreeCAD (located in the squashfs-root folder):

./AppRun
Mentioned procedure doesn't modify your environment in any way. That is nothing gets installed and no environment paths get modified.
Kunda1 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:07 am @triplus wow, very cool! Thanks for sharing
You're welcome.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

triplus wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:14 pm
bernd wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 am all this conda is like git. Once you have undersood it it's simple but if not it not usable at all. Whereas I have understood git, i have not yet understood all this conda ... May be it is because I have not given it a try. I will go for the win way ATM because it only needs 2 minutes to download the image.
Instructions above are not for using Conda. As AppImage is only based on Conda (packages). Therefore if you will follow the procedure as outlined above on downloaded AppImage:

cd squashfs-root
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

You don't have to understand anything about Conda (or AppImage). You can start modifying .py files and test the changes by starting FreeCAD (located in the squashfs-root folder):

./AppRun
Mentioned procedure doesn't modify your environment in any way. That is nothing gets installed and no environment paths get modified.
wow that sounds gread! but I need to install some package on my debian, do I? Which one, there is no package called appimage on debian stretch.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

bernd wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 am Mentioned procedure doesn't modify your environment in any way. That is nothing gets installed and no environment paths get modified.
You get it from the downloads page https://github.com/freecad/freecad/releases
"fight the good fight"