Design of a Deep Concrete Beam with Opening

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

thschrader
Veteran

Re: Design of a Deep Concrete Beam with Opening

Post by thschrader »

HarryvL wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:48 pm It may not sound much to some...
Man!
Come on. Amazing work!
HarryvL
Veteran

Re: Design of a Deep Concrete Beam with Opening

Post by HarryvL »

I found a way to simplify the application of pre-tension in a 2D analysis. Instead of modeling the tendon in the plane of the analysis, I now put it perpendicular to this plane. The main advantage is that the tendon now plays no role in the modeling and meshing of the analysis plane. This avoids the need for extreme mesh refinement and prevents spurious deformations due to 1) lateral contraction introduced by the pre-tension strain and 2) discontinuities in young's modulus between concrete and tendon. I can now also use realistic x-sectional areas for the tendons, without worrying about deformations in the plane. Here is what it looks like for the deep beam:

FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_Tendons.png
FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_Tendons.png (296.96 KiB) Viewed 349 times

It also implies a significant simplification of FreeCAD workflow. I can now simply extrude the B-spline sketches of the tendons and include those extrusions in a Boolean Fragment object with the plane of interest.

To model the >1100 mm2 steel required for each tendon, I use a strip of 50mm wide and 25mm high, centered on the plane of analysis.

To compensate for the high reinforcement requirements in the top right-hand corner that I found in the earlier analysis, I add an additional tendon that ties the reaction force of the upper tendon back to the support.

FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_Tie.png
FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_Tie.png (97 KiB) Viewed 349 times

The reduction in horizontal reinforcement requirement this achieves is clear:

FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_RRx.png
FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_RRx.png (75.35 KiB) Viewed 349 times

Like before, the pre-tension achieved in the analysis can be calculated with an integration filter:

FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_Force.png
FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_Force.png (241.57 KiB) Viewed 349 times

The integration panel shows an integrated major principal stress value of 54524 MPa*mm, implying an average tension of 54524/50 = 1090 MPa. This multiplied by the cross sectional areas of the tendon yields a force of 1090*50*25 = 1.36 MN, which is indeed in the range I tried to achieve.

Finally, the plot of major prinicpal stress shows greatly reduced tension in the beam, supporting the conclusion from the reinforcement plot on the benefit of additional pre-stressing.

FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_PV1.png
FIB_Concrete_Deep_Beam_BHB_PT_Simple_rev0_PV1.png (108.84 KiB) Viewed 349 times