Why am I getting this results - Steel Beam Compression

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

felx325

Why am I getting this results - Steel Beam Compression

Post by felx325 »

Hi I am doing a very simple analysis but I don't think this results make sense. I'm applying a compression of 39200 Pa to the top face of this steel beam with the following properties: 7800kg/m3 - 200GPa - 0,26. It has fixed constraints in the left and right lower edges, not the face, but the nodes, so it can have space below.

The problem is that in the Abs Displacement and X, Z specially I am getting results that I think are too much... I don't think a structural steel beam can be deformed like that with a pressure like of a concrete wall (approximate). The pressure I got it based on a 2000kg/m3 weight of concrete divided by the top beam area, but that is not the main point...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kwocb ... fWju9i03Io

Thanks in advance.
ickby
Veteran

Re: Why am I getting this results - Steel Beam Compression

Post by ickby »

You are applying 40Mpa instead of 40KPa... so instead of adding ~7t on the beam you added ~7000t on top. Seems quite reasonable that it bends that heavily ;) although with such large deformations linear analysis will give you wrong results for sure.
felx325

Re: Why am I getting this results - Steel Beam Compression

Post by felx325 »

Thank you so much for your help, I feel like a moron but I needed a second eye to see the problem.

Best to you!