[SOLVED] FEM - Error : Gmsh requires OpenCASCADE to import shape

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

quick61
Veteran

[SOLVED] FEM - Error : Gmsh requires OpenCASCADE to import shape

Post by quick61 »

EDIT - i think this > https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p304372 < just answered my question. If there is something else, let me know. Thanks.

Hello all, after doing a search of the forum, I'm not finding anyone else with this problem. I was going through a tutorial on using the FEM workbench, (my first attempts at understanding how it works), and I get the following error when I try to use Gmsh.

Code: Select all

Active analysis found: Analysis

We are going to start Gmsh FEM mesh run!
  Part to mesh: Name --> Fusion,  Label --> Fusion, ShapeType --> Compound
  CharacteristicLengthMax: 10.0
  CharacteristicLengthMin: 0.0
  ElementOrder: 2
  ElementDimension: 3
  /tmp/Fusion_Geometry.brep
  /tmp/Fusion_Mesh_TmpGmsh.unv
  /tmp/shape2mesh.geo
  /usr/bin/gmsh
  Group meshing for analysis.
  Empty reference: SolidMaterial
  One material with no reference shapes. No need to make a group for materials.
  {'FemConstraintFixed': ['Face34', 'Face39', 'Face40', 'Face41'], 'FemConstraintForce': ['Face2'], 'FemConstraintForce001': ['Face17', 'Face30']}
  The Part should have a pretty new FEM mesh!
Error   : Gmsh requires OpenCASCADE to import shape
I have Gmsh installed, from the Community Extras PPA, (version 4.0.2-git), and seems to run just fine on it's own.

Question, has anyone experienced this before or maybe I have something configured wrong? Is the build of Gmsh on the Community Extras PPA a bad build and i should either build, or get a binary from somewhere else? I get this error in both the current 0.18 and the 0.19 AppImage. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Note to mods - If you think this needs to be moved to the FEM or other sub-forum, please do so with my apologies.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.1.
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

and

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16540 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 554985dede771f9a6694baba2372cc60db86f17b
Python version: 3.7.1
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Mark
Last edited by quick61 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
vocx
Veteran

Re: FEM - Error : Gmsh requires OpenCASCADE to import shape

Post by vocx »

quick61 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:44 pm EDIT - i think this > https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p304372 < just answered my question. If there is something else, let me know. Thanks.
Correct. Basically, you need to continue using Gmsh 3.0.6 until Kremitzki updates the Gmsh 4.x packages.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

vocx wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 pm
quick61 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:44 pm EDIT - i think this > https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p304372 < just answered my question. If there is something else, let me know. Thanks.
Correct. Basically, you need to continue using Gmsh 3.0.6 until Kremitzki updates the Gmsh 4.x packages.
Shiny, I have netgen available in the 0.19 version so I'm not getting to excited about gmsh not working at the moment. Was initially wondering if I had something wrong, but as it turns out...

Thanks for the reply,

Mark
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

quick61 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 pm Shiny, I have netgen available in the 0.19 version so I'm not getting to excited about gmsh not working at the moment. Was initially wondering if I had something wrong, but as it turns out...
Does Netgen actually work? For me it's the opposite, I realized Netgen wasn't working with FreeCAD, so I decided to not bother with it.

Did you compile FreeCAD yourself with Netgen?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

vocx wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:21 pm
quick61 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 pm Shiny, I have netgen available in the 0.19 version so I'm not getting to excited about gmsh not working at the moment. Was initially wondering if I had something wrong, but as it turns out...
Does Netgen actually work? For me it's the opposite, I realized Netgen wasn't working with FreeCAD, so I decided to not bother with it.

Did you compile FreeCAD yourself with Netgen?
No, the 0.19 AppImage has netgen working in it, at least for me it does, the ones from the PPA, including the 0.18 release won't allow netgen to play. :(

But yea, netgen seems to work with FEM and meshing parts for 3D printing.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

quick61 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:28 pm No, the 0.19 AppImage has netgen working in it, at least for me it does, the ones from the PPA, including the 0.18 release won't allow netgen to play. :(

But yea, netgen seems to work with FEM and meshing parts for 3D printing.
Support for Netgen was deactivated since FreeCAD 0.17 because it couldn't be compiled against the current OpenCascade libraries (OCCT 7.x). I didn't realize that the developers made it work again. So that's good, it provides more options for the user.
quick61
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] FEM - Error : Gmsh requires OpenCASCADE to import shape

Post by quick61 »

With the latest update to Gmsh - version 4.1.5 - it's all back to normal now. Thanks.

Mark
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] FEM - Error : Gmsh requires OpenCASCADE to import shape

Post by kkremitzki »

Great, thanks for confirming that.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.