Provide practical finite element analysis capabilities within the FreeCAD framework that are easily maintained and extended.
- Robust, automated solution procedures
- Capturing the essence of structural/mechanical behavior (no more, no less)
- Capability to perform a staged analysis, e.g.:
- Excavate deep cavern for water storage in a hydro-electric power generation scheme. stage 1: apply weight for initial stress state, stage 2: excavate, stage 3: apply hydrostatic load.
- Elastic-plastic buckling of a slender structure/component. stage 1: initial imperfection from linear buckling analysis, stage 2: elasto-plastic collapse analysis
- Machining of a cold-formed metal component: stage 1: elasto-plastic loading of the component, stage 2: elasto-plastic unloading of the component, stage 3: remove material.
- Efficient specification of material and analysis control parameters from within the FC UI.
- Output in tabulated form (by node or by integration point) and the VTK pipeline
- Restart possible from any intermediate load steps at any stage.
- Option for (limited) user defined post processing of results through Python calculator.
- Modular approach (with output from any load step in any stage calculated by one module available as initial conditions for another stage in another module).
- Analysis control input
- Extraction of relevant information from FC data structures for specification of finite element geometry, material and boundary conditions.
- Bandwidth reduction
- FE matrix generation
- FE “load vector” generation
- Application of FE displacement boundary conditions
- Decomposition of FE matrix
- Automatic load stepping and arc length control
- Eigenvalue solver
- On-screen analysis progress reporting
- Storage of (user specified) step results (including VTK) and information
- Volume elements
- Interface elements
- Shell/plate elements
- Material-specific stress return routines for plasticity
The functionality for the basic modules is currently available in the development version of fcFEM, but requires modularizing and optimizing, as well as seamless integration with FreeCAD