displacement frequency is exploded

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Jee-Bee
Veteran

displacement frequency is exploded

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have a question regarding the units after creating the frequency calculation and the related displacement factor.

I have a model added below. Where i create a Frequency calculation combined with static.
so just a static calculation and add the code below after the *END STEP of static to create to eignemodes calculation.

Code: Select all

*STEP, PERTURBATION
*FREQUENCY
*END STEP
my problem is that when plotting the eigenmodes plots the max displacement = 360 or so mm(??). while the max distance = 126.25 mm. So it breaks everything... when showing even at displacement factor 1.
2019-07-25 14_00_56-FreeCAD 0.19.png
2019-07-25 14_00_56-FreeCAD 0.19.png (41.49 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
I'm not sure but i would say that the resulting values aren't mm there is no input energy added so also no magnitude...
Would it be possible to scale this max value so 'large' displacements can shown normal??
Attachments
mirr_pos.FCStd
(9.66 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: displacement frequency is exploded

Post by Jee-Bee »

No others who are having the same issue? (or maybe iam very bad at explaning my problem...;) )
fandaL

Post by fandaL »

Forum search gives a related discussion here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 8&start=10 There is the python code for scaling <1 https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p289519

So a way around could be to use Pipeline/Warp filter to display deformed shape with arbitrary scale.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

that's a pita that a workaround is needed. i try to create a pipeline...

Still i don't understand where the extremly high "displacement" values of frequency analysis come from...
fandaL

Post by fandaL »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:26 pm Still i don't understand where the extremly high "displacement" values of frequency analysis come from...
The theory behind frequency analysis gives only the shape and frequency, not information about amplitude, so displacements you see are not real. Calculix gives output which is somehow normalized (mass normalized so that “displacements” fulfill equation uMu=1 where u is eigenvector, M is mass matrix). For real displacements one would need to run some kind of dynamic analysis which is more complicated.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

thanks