Error in reading results file from eigenvalue frequency analysis with solid elements

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

edub

Error in reading results file from eigenvalue frequency analysis with solid elements

Postby edub » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:12 pm

I am trying to calculate the eigenfrequencies of a relatively small solid model of approx. 2000 nodes and 1000 elements.

I am getting the following output:

runCalculix
run CalculiX at: /usr/bin/ccx with: /tmp/FEMMeshGmsh
calculixStarted()
PySide2.QtCore.QProcess.ProcessState.Running
calculixFinished() 255
PySide2.QtCore.QProcess.ProcessState.NotRunning
PySide2.QtCore.QRegExp('\*ERROR.*\n\n', 1, 0)
CalculiX done without error!
We will load the ccx frd and dat result file.
Read ccx results from frd file: /tmp/FEMMeshGmsh.frd
FEM: No nodes found in Frd file.
Problem on frd file import. No nodes found in frd file.
FEM: No result object in active Analysis.
Read ccx results from dat file: /tmp/FEMMeshGmsh.dat

Any ideas for me?
bernd

Re: Error in reading results file from eigenvalue frequency analysis with solid elements

Postby bernd » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:41 pm

would you post the FreeCAD file? Would you post the FreeCAD version number?
edub

Re: Error in reading results file from eigenvalue frequency analysis with solid elements

Postby edub » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:07 am

I found my error, I had used the "plane rotation" constraint and not the "fixed" constraint. Icons are bit hard to differentiate.

Interesting enough, the "Mechanical analysis solver window output" reports that the analysis was successful, but CalculiX finds that the matrix is singular due to the improperly chosen constraints and cannot calculate the problem. I have to check another FE solver, but I think that the eigenvalue problem should be able to be solved for this case. Nonetheless, that is a CalculiX issue. There seems to be a problem with the FreeCAD interface to CalculiX: we still get a successful response from the mechanical analysis window: 0.8: CalculiX done without error!

Here is the output in the Mechanical analysis solver window:

Code: Select all

0.0: Check dependencies...
0.1: Write completed.
0.0: CalculiX binary: /usr/bin/ccx
0.0: Run CalculiX...
0.0: Starting CalculiX...
0.0: CalculiX is running...
0.8: CalculiX stopped.
0.8: b"\n************************************************************\n\nCalculiX Version 2.11, Copyright(C) 1998-2015 Guido Dhondt\nCalculiX comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free\nsoftware, and you are welcome to redistribute it under\ncertain conditions, see gpl.htm\n\n************************************************************\n\nYou are using an executable made on So 31. Jul 13:26:31 CEST 2016\n\n The numbers below are estimated upper bounds\n\n number of:\n\n nodes: 1743\n elements: 1332\n one-dimensional elements: 0\n two-dimensional elements: 0\n integration points per element: 4\n degrees of freedom per node: 3\n layers per element: 1\n\n distributed facial loads: 0\n distributed volumetric loads: 0\n concentrated loads: 0\n single point constraints: 162\n multiple point constraints: 163\n terms in all multiple point constraints: 2095\n tie constraints: 0\n dependent nodes tied by cyclic constraints: 0\n dependent nodes in pre-tension constraints: 0\n\n sets: 5\n terms in all sets: 5879\n\n materials: 1\n constants per material and temperature: 2\n temperature points per material: 1\n plastic data points per material: 0\n\n orientations: 0\n amplitudes: 0\n data points in all amplitudes: 0\n print requests: 0\n transformations: 0\n property cards: 0\n\n *INFO reading *MPC: nonlinear geometric\n effects are turned on\n\n\n STEP 1\n\n Frequency analysis was selected\n\n Nonlinear geometric effects are taken into account\n\n Decascading the MPC's\n\n Determining the structure of the matrix:\n number of equations\n 4585\n number of nonzero lower triangular matrix elements\n 167576\n\n Using up to 1 cpu(s) for the stress calculation.\n\n Using up to 1 cpu(s) for the symmetric stiffness/mass contributions.\n\n Factoring the system of equations using the symmetric spooles solver\n Using up to 1 cpu(s) for spooles.\n\n"
0.8: CalculiX done without error!
0.8: Loading result sets...
Here the Python console output:

runCalculix
run CalculiX at: /usr/bin/ccx with: /_tmp/_TestEigFreeCAD-CalculiX/calc/FEMMeshGmsh
calculixStarted()
PySide2.QtCore.QProcess.ProcessState.Running
calculixFinished() 255
PySide2.QtCore.QProcess.ProcessState.NotRunning
PySide2.QtCore.QRegExp('\*ERROR.*\n\n', 1, 0)
CalculiX done without error!
We will load the ccx frd and dat result file.
Read ccx results from frd file: /_tmp/_TestEigFreeCAD-CalculiX/calc/FEMMeshGmsh.frd
FEM: No nodes found in Frd file.
Problem on frd file import. No nodes found in frd file.
FEM: No result object in active Analysis.
Read ccx results from dat file: /_tmp/_TestEigFreeCAD-CalculiX/calc/FEMMeshGmsh.dat
My details:
Ubuntu 19.04
FreeCAD 0.18.3
Attachments
_TestEigFreeCAD-CalculiX.tar.gz
(118.42 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
fandaL

Postby fandaL » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:09 pm

I don’t know how FreeCAD gets error message from Calculix, but if I rerun your file, there is no "error" explicitly printed in the ccx output. True is that ccx terminated without results. But this is caused by *MPC card, i.e. FemConstraintPlaneRotation. If you delete it, Calculix will make job done.
edub

Postby edub » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Right. If you remove the constraint, you have an unconstrained eigenvalue problem and CalculiX has no problem with that. That much is clear.

The problem is that ccx terminated with an error but did not write this, it is "hidden" in spooles.out.
UR_

Postby UR_ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:00 pm

edub wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:58 pm
The problem is that ccx terminated with an error but did not write this, it is "hidden" in spooles.out.
On windows please check %ERRORLEVEL% after ccx has finished. Should be "0" for success, otherwise an error occurred.

ccx.exe -i "C:\MyPath\MyInpFile"
echo %errorlevel%