Elmer electrostatics FEM

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

HoWil
Veteran

Re: Elmer electrostatics FEM

Post by HoWil »

Yes, I need for sure some help with point 1. :D
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

bernd wrote: Hi Bernd
Is it possible that you just add my commit "Fix saving values for Infinity and Capacitance BCs" from https://github.com/HoWilgh/FreeCAD/tree ... Cs/src/Mod ??
I am a bit in a hurry and do not get the rebaseing to your master branch right.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

TadasK wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:42 pm Ping
Hi Ted,
in 0.19 you now find modified boundary conditions allowing for setting ininity-BC and the calculation of capacitance matrix. The user interface is rather simple and for sure needs some additional automated checks but all the necessary things are there. The only thing left to do is to change the "Vacuum Permittivity = 1.0". This was not implemented yet and I do not know if it is really necessary to change something like the permittivity of vacuum often.
Please see:
Tutorial_6 - Electrostatic equation – Capacitance of two balls_1p0.FCStd
model with removed mesh and results objects.
(24.84 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Peek 2020-02-24 20-39.webm
starting point.
(697.74 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Peek 2020-02-24 20-39_.webm
Showing the created geometry made in Part-WB.
(398.58 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Peek 2020-02-24 20-40.webm
Settings for the mesh and meshing.
(505.3 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Peek 2020-02-24 20-47.webm
Equation and boundary conditions.
(715.81 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Peek 2020-02-24 20-48.webm
Material set-up and first run of the solver
(887.02 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Peek 2020-02-24 21-30.webm
Changing the "Permittivity Of Vacuum = 1" (saving the .sif) and running the Solver again (no need for a rewrite!)
(768.09 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

HoWil wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:16 pm The only thing left to do is to change the "Vacuum Permittivity = 1.0". This was not implemented yet and I do not know if it is really necessary to
what would be needed to do this by the elmer writer? I would like to add this example to official FreeCAD FEM examples as it is a know example (elmer) and it would be the first example in electic FEM. Since we use python to run the analysis I would not like to change the elmer input file after the writing process has finished. All should happen in elmer writer.

cheers bernd
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

bernd wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:38 am what would be needed to do this by the elmer writer?
I think it is not much. I tried to modify it myself but finally (after giving up :? ) decided that setting the 'Permittivity of Vacuum' to 1 is a really really special case and only used for this tutorial.
I added in 'electrostatic.py' (see https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ostatic.py)

Code: Select all

obj.addProperty(
            "App::PropertyFloat", "PermittivityOfVacuum",
            "Electrostatic", "PermittivityOfVacuum")
but struggled with modifying 'writer.py' (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... /writer.py) in a way that the modified constant is read from the 'equation' and handed over to '_handleElectrostaticConstants' instead of simply writing the standard value as it is done now:

Code: Select all

def _handleElectrostaticConstants(self):
        self._constant(
            "Permittivity Of Vacuum",
            getConstant("PermittivityOfVacuum", "T^4*I^2/(L*M)"))

bernd wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:38 am I would like to add this example to official FreeCAD FEM examples as it is a know example (elmer) and it would be the first example in electic FEM.
This is also my goal. But we should add some additional improvements before:
  • The UI for 'ConstraintElectrostaticPotential' should be made a bit more intuitive. I struggled enabling/disabling the capacitanceBody_spinBox depending on capacitanceBodyBox (see the screenshot below and https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... tential.ui) BTW: the spinbox and the capacitanceBodyBox could be oriented as for 'Potential'.
  • A check if the flag in the boundary condition is set when capacitance matrix is selected in es equation would be good... should be done in writer.py
Attachments
ConstraintElectrostaticPotential.png
ConstraintElectrostaticPotential.png (102.96 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

HoWil wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:23 pm but struggled with modifying 'writer.py' ...
bernd wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:38 am Ping
Can you please help me with all three things (permittivity, Ui and check/warnings)?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

HoWil wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:23 pm but struggled with modifying 'writer.py' ...
some patience I moved constants to an own module see git commit dbbab7ae and git commit 3d4013bf Next will be some small new object to be able to overwrite constants for the analysis the object is in. IMHO this is the way to go and not add the constants to the equation object.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

for the ui stuff I did not had the time to have a look at this. This will take a few days ... First the constants and the example. You might even need to remember me on this ... one again :oops: