Which FEM Analysis Icon is the one we use ?

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Which FEM Analysis Icon is the one we use ?

Post by Kunda1 »

wandererfan wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:16 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:14 pm CCing @wandererfan in on this discussion
IMO, a project to rename existing icons to match a standard does not provide sufficient return to justify the effort.
Respectfully, I will push back on that, if I may. It does for documentation writers and triagers, moving forward especially as the project matures and we get the API documentation online in its entirety.
On the wiki I know that each command has the workbench in front of it. So in 9 cases out of 10 I don't have to know the file name by browsing the command page, I can just use the naming scheme subscribed to across the whole of FC.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:04 pm I will push back on that
Kind of the point of discussions, no?
On the wiki I know that each command has the workbench in front of it. So in 9 cases out of 10 I don't have to know the file name
by browsing the command page
I don't see where the icon name becomes the key for searching for anything else. Do users come with questions that begin "I pushed ../Resources/Icons/actions/techdraw-annotation.svg and bad things happened"?

All I'm saying is that if I was managing the project budget (which we don't have) I wouldn't approve a change order whose only purpose was to rename icons.

If "WorkBench_CommandName" is the standard for icon names, I'm happy to follow it for new work.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:04 pm ... especially as the project matures and we get the API documentation online in its entirety.
I think the discussion boils down to renaming icons isn't a priority for developers. There's more important things to do.

However, this is exactly one of those things that can be accomplished by non-programmers. So, my opinion is that you should try to do this Kunda, collect as much data as needed from the other workbenches as well, and get a team of users to help out. Just remember that it isn't a huge priority for programmers.

Uwe renamed the icons, functions, and wiki pages because he was very interested on this. So he did it himself, and then wandererfan just approved the changes. I have also renamed some icons here and there in Draft, Arch, Part, Sketcher, and the like. It's hard work, and no immediate benefit other than "things are more organized".
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I had a whole reply to this, and then I read vocx's response and I agree. The same can be said for the effort that agryson made when he came in and modernized and renamed the icons along with creating the Artwork and Artwork Guidelines pages.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:15 pm ... along with creating the Artwork and Artwork Guidelines pages.
Or the efforts I did with rewriting those pages.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

It should be the decision of each maintainer how to handle the icons and if it is worth to change their names.

Since I am kind of standard freak for commit history, code formating, module and file names etc it is even worth to rename existing icons in FEM. Here we go ... https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... its/femtmp

BTW: Found my editor does not select "fem-some-name-for-icons" on double click. Only one word between the "-" is selected on double click but it selects "FEM_SomeNameForIcons" as a whole on double click. I like the later one! Just a reason more to rename the icons.

But, I run into trouble ...

There are tools (commands) without an object in tree view. They are easy to handle since we have a command.

But there are objects in tree view without a tool (command). For example the result mesh ion FEM. There is no gui command to create a result mesh. This object is created by the result object code if needed. It has a icon but no command. https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... em.qrc#L47 and the object https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... ult.py#L41

How are these objects handled in the wiki? ATM they just do not exist, because there is no command.

cheers bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Does it make sense to add a "Icon" at the end of the icon names?

FEM_TheVeryCoolFemCommandIcon.svg
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:26 am FEM_TheVeryCoolFemCommandIcon.svg
I don't like this. The image can be used elsewhere, not necessarily in icons, so naming it "Icon" doesn't look good to me.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:14 am ...
How are these objects handled in the wiki? ATM they just do not exist, because there is no command.
If there is no command it's probably not documented in its own page. But the object should still be documented somewhere, for example, in the Fem_Result command or where it makes sense.

This is the case of the PartDesign Body's BaseFeature. There is no Gui Command to create such BaseFeature, but the information is explained inside the PartDesign Body page because that's where this object appears.

Given that I have documented various objects already, I was thinking to maybe create a specific page for it like PartDesign_FeatureBase because PartDesign::FeatureBase is the internal class of the BaseFeature.

Is the PartDesign BaseFeature documented somewhere in the wiki?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »