[SOLVED] Issue with CalculiX

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

mitu7362

[SOLVED] Issue with CalculiX

Post by mitu7362 »

Hello everyone,
Sorry about that this problem has nothing with FreeCAD FEM to do, but I cannot find any useful anwsers to it and I wish I could get some help here.

I have to carry out some FEM-simulations for the springs using CalculiX. What I always tried before was to copy the unv-meshes into the virtual Linux system and carry out the simulations using the CalculiX Launcher (Linux version), since calculiX is originally for Linux. It went well in this way and the results in CalculiX were also satisfying.

But now my professor wants me to do all the jobs in Windows and get rid of the Linux. So I copied the calculated-data (include the generated inp and frd files) into the windows, since the CCX Wizard function of the Launcher in windows is not available. But beyond my expectation, I cannot open the frd. file with the launcher (windows version) anymore with an error telling me that the memory is not enough. I have also tried the bConverged version, but it does not make any difference with the same error. I've also repeated the calculation in windows, it goes alright without any problems ("Convergence" and "Job finished" are showed in the GUI), but still, I cannot start the cgx.

Even reducing the number of elements cannot make it work. But surprisingly, when I move the frd-files generated in windows into linux, it can be viewd with the cgx in CalculiX Launcher (Linux version) normaly.

Since I am no expert in compute technology, could somebody give me some clues on how to deal with that?

The testdata for calculiX can be downloaded from my Dropbox under the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0luqxev8kn8u ... a.rar?dl=0

Thanks a lot.
Attachments
results in virtual box.png
results in virtual box.png (96.29 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Error_Windows_bConverged.png
Error_Windows_bConverged.png (139.69 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Last edited by mitu7362 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
fandaL

Re: Issue with CalculiX

Post by fandaL »

Hi,
Try to open it with the latest cgx. I have downloaded Launcher CL34-win64 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/calculixforwin/ and when opening I can chose different cgx versions: 2.5 fails, 2.10 even brakes frd file, 2.16 works well.

I suppose that this is due to binary format used in the frd file. Look to the manual for *CONTACT OUTPUT card. If you use *CONTACT FILE instead it should print frd file in ASCII, which will be larger but probably readable also with older cgx on Windows.
mitu7362

Re: Issue with CalculiX

Post by mitu7362 »

fandaL wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:56 am Hi,
Try to open it with the latest cgx. I have downloaded Launcher CL34-win64 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/calculixforwin/ and when opening I can chose different cgx versions: 2.5 fails, 2.10 even brakes frd file, 2.16 works well.

I suppose that this is due to binary format used in the frd file. Look to the manual for *CONTACT OUTPUT card. If you use *CONTACT FILE instead it should print frd file in ASCII, which will be larger but probably readable also with older cgx on Windows.
Hello fandaL,

cgx 2.16 also works with my PC. I did not know that there are more Versions available before.But I will still try to change the card so that it is also compatible with the old versions.
Thanks really, really alot! :)