FEM in FreeCAD with Elmer - Postprocessing

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

sgrogan
Veteran

Re: FEM in FreeCAD with Elmer - Postprocessing

Post by sgrogan »

ickby wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:19 pm I would love that. Back during developing ubuntu VTK had used a different python version than FreeCAD and hence importing crashed. If this is resolved one only needs to create a python feature that allows the filter creation.
I think this should be within reach. There were some CMake issues with building the vtk python bindings that I think are fixed.
Despite the temporary breakage to the FEM WB. import vtk works.

If you have time to investigate, I can provide some support testing on Win with Conda and Libpack builds, and Mint based on Ubuntu 18.04. PPA/AppImage/Self compiled.
I think VTK python support would help with the OP issue. At least it would offer options.
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I do not have time to work on this, unfortunately, however, I'm always happy to support someone who decides to tackle this, either the python stuff or just adding more filters in c++
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

I would love to see some more support for vtk in freecad. If it is Python based, allowing one to script the postprocessing, than it would be awesome.

Alternatively, using Paraview for advanced stuff is also a good idea. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... ew#p378297