[solved] Number of Edges and Faces in Mesh

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

reox

[solved] Number of Edges and Faces in Mesh

Post by reox »

I'm writing some other tool that needs to handle tetrahedral meshes, and I generated some test files in FreeCAD.
But I do not understand the mesh metrics given in the data tab:
femmesh.PNG
femmesh.PNG (6.03 KiB) Viewed 976 times
The number of volumes and nodes is the same as in the mesh. However, the number of edges and faces does not match.
My tool shows the number of edges and triangles in the mesh, and the numbers differ.
But am I right that these two figures are just measured at the mesh's surface? If I only look at the surface, I can count the 68 faces (at least that is what my tool under test tells me :D).
Last edited by reox on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Veteran

Re: Number of Edges and Faces in Mesh

Post by johnwang »

If you have column element, edge and face is not a must to form the FemMesh object.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

the way gmsh works is as follows. First make a edge mesh with alle edges of the geometry. Second make a face mesh on all faces of the geometry, mainly this is the outer shell, but on a CompSolid it could be some inner face too. As last the third the volumes are meshed.

The mesh in FreeCAD contains all these elements from the mesh process, the edges, the faces and the volumes.

Hope that helps. Bernd
reox

Post by reox »

Okay, that makes sense. I thought that these figures were related to the volume mesh, which confused me.
Thanks for the clarification!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

reox wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:55 am Okay, that makes sense. I thought that these figures were related to the volume mesh, which confused me.
Thanks for the clarification!
When I started FEM with FreeCAD years ago I run into the same ... :mrgreen: We could somehow make this clear to the user, but I do not know how?
reox

Re: [solved] Number of Edges and Faces in Mesh

Post by reox »

I first looked for a tooltip - maybe that would solve the issue already?
If it would say something like "faces on the surface" it would help a lot I guess.