FEM Results to Mesh.

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

keithsloan52
Veteran

FEM Results to Mesh.

Post by keithsloan52 »

Somebody asked in the FreeCAD Facebook group if there was any equivalent to F360 Topology/Shape optimisation in FreeCAD (Think this was one of the features in F360 that went behind the paywall) this prompted me to watch this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyTULzvHhXw Which has lead me to this question. With the FEM workbench is there anyway to create a Mesh from a contour in the FEM results. Reason I ask is that I have been working on a facility to create a sketch by taking a section ( Plane, DataPlane) see https://github.com/KeithSloan/toSketch ( It still needs more work ) But if one could create a Mesh from FEM results it might be prove to be useful and If that is the case it would spur me on to more work on toSketch.

Thanks
RatonLaveur

Re: FEM Results to Mesh.

Post by RatonLaveur »

Last I checked, the topology optimization efforts in FC (beso) alread raised a similar question.
I think the answer was to redesign a part around the results of the topology optimization.

What you ask a bit a different, however, the question is basically if you can extract an iso-line to a sketch ( if I understand correctly). This I do not know.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

RatonLaveur wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:01 pm What you ask a bit a different, however, the question is basically if you can extract an iso-line to a sketch ( if I understand correctly). This I do not know.
NO !!! - I was asking if one could create a Mesh from a contour. I would use toSketch to section the Mesh to create a sketch and from the sketch alter/create a modified design.

If I look this result
BD16F0EC-F748-4AFE-9462-F912C22A6375_4_5005_c.jpeg
BD16F0EC-F748-4AFE-9462-F912C22A6375_4_5005_c.jpeg (33.47 KiB) Viewed 744 times
I would like to see a facility that extracted the mesh where all parts were less redder than some value.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:21 pm ...
I would like to see a facility that extracted the mesh where all parts were less redder than some value.
You can reduce the mesh with scalar-clip filter.
Same works with paraview. In paraview, export mesh as vtu/vtk-file and import in FC.
But I dont know how to convert the imported vtu/vtk to a mesh or solid.
scalar_clip_filter.JPG
scalar_clip_filter.JPG (57.03 KiB) Viewed 658 times