Topology Optimization Error

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Mark H

Topology Optimization Error

Post by Mark H »

I am getting the following error after executing the BESO Topology Optimization. Everything runs fine except at the end.

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to use this for real world applications of Metal Additive Manufacturing for Tooling and Development parts.

We currently use FreeCad for determining green part strength during debinding and sintering. It has worked great. We want to expand to using it for Topology Optimization to reduce weight and material.

21:02:11 Traceback (most recent call last):
21:02:11 File "C:/Users/15134/AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Macro/beso-master/beso_fc_gui.py", line 833, in on_click24
21:02:11 self.on_click23() # run optimization
21:02:11 File "C:/Users/15134/AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Macro/beso-master/beso_fc_gui.py", line 829, in on_click23
21:02:11 exec(open(os.path.join(beso_gui.beso_dir, "beso_main.py")).read())
21:02:11 File "<string>", line 357, in <module>
21:02:11 File "C:/Users/15134/AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Macro/beso-master\beso_lib.py", line 601, in import_FI_int_pt
21:02:11 assert False, msg
21:02:11 AssertionError: CalculiX result file not found, check your inputs
thschrader
Veteran

Re: Topology Optimization Error

Post by thschrader »

Mark H wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:31 am ..
Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to use this for real world applications of Metal Additive Manufacturing for Tooling and Development parts.

We currently use FreeCad for determining green part strength during debinding and sintering. It has worked great. We want to expand to using it for Topology Optimization to reduce weight and material.
Maybe this helps:
Z88 Arion

https://en.z88.de/
freeware, maybe worth a try.
see here:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=z88+arion

Program developed by University of Bayreuth, Germany.
Page starts in german, but you can switch to englich.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

You can generate a stl file after running optimization with Z88 Arion.
And you can import the stl to FreeCAD.
And here the work begins: design the new structure.
From the stl...
fandaL

Post by fandaL »

Hello,
Mark H wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:31 am AssertionError: CalculiX result file not found, check your inputs
is a common error, which means that beso stacked at reading results from CalculiX analysis. Sequential analysis are run during the optimization and the result from CalculiX does not contain results for some reason. Advices can be
  • Run the analysis in FreeCAD to check if CalculiX finishes initial FEM task, i.e. check the analysis before starting the optimization.
  • If the path to your working directory contains spaces, it can make troubles.
  • Your working folder (folder where the initial CalculiX file is) should contain the analysis file written by beso, e.g. file000.inp or file020.inp in 20th iteration. Is there also corresponding frd and dat file, e.g. file000.dat? If it is not there and if file000.frd is almost empty, there is CalculiX error. In that case, run manually CalculiX on this file and find error message in CalculiX log. (If you are able to run CalculiX only from FreeCAD, open any FEM example and before running CalculiX, select "Edit .inp file" and overwrite the text input with the file you want. Click Run CalculiX and check the log on the screen.)
Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Thanks for the help. Calculix does finish completely and the analysis looks good. No errors at this point. Beso file000.inp is also created along with the .dat file and .frd file but they are almost empty. The .VTK file is also created and when read into Paraview does not display any removed elements.

I will take your suggestions and run it again several times to see what I get. I am only testing on a rectangular plate that is about 10mm thick.

I will post my results and the file if that helps.

Thanks,

Mark