[Help] Need contributors for 'Onboarding FEM Devs' wiki page

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

johnwang
Veteran

Re: [Help] Need contributors for 'Onboarding FEM Devs' wiki page

Post by johnwang »

bernd wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:09 pm This branch is rebased on a regular basis on master and thus updatodate. I even merge new development inside the history of femoofem to keep this branch uptodate.
Why not release it into the master?
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

johnwang wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:20 pm
bernd wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:09 pm This branch is rebased on a regular basis on master and thus updatodate. I even merge new development inside the history of femoofem to keep this branch uptodate.
Why not release it into the master?
There is noone who uses it. It has started with lots of interest and ended as my playground. But mainly you are right. Why keeping it on my github and do rebase and rebase it. Since it even has unit test it would keep working even on code changes ...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bernd wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:18 pm But mainly you are right. Why keeping it on my github and do rebase and rebase it. Since it even has unit test it would keep working even on code changes ...
You can label it experimental or even make it hidden by default via the FEM preferences?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

bernd wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:45 am another helpful information.

A new solver mainly needs the following small steps ...

- mesh exporter
- results importer
- solver object (needs changes in solver settings, unit tests, ObjectsFem modules as well)
- task and writer module (here is where the main solver input writing happens)
- Gui tool to create a solver
- Gui preference tab to set the solver binary path
- a solver input writing unit test. Best to take the ccx cantilever. This is available for all mesh element types
- having one or two beers
Add_FEM_Solver_Tutorial
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

bernd wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:18 pm There is noone who uses it. It has started with lots of interest and ended as my playground. But mainly you are right. Why keeping it on my github and do rebase and rebase it. Since it even has unit test it would keep working even on code changes ...
Hard for people to compile your branch to test it. If it is ready to use in master, maybe more will try.

Since FC can't support hundreds of solver, maybe introduce a mod/fem/femsolver/3rdParty folder. The GUI part is all done by FreeCAD, each solver just needs to make their own solver.py,writer.py,tasks.py and anything else needed. Only Python is needed. They can make their own package to connect with FreeCAD. If a user want to test oofem, he can copy oofem package into that folder. So to Frame3DD. To FreeCAD, they are all 3rdParty solver. Same one button.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Actually it is exactly how it works ATM. Compiling is only needed for the preferences page, the too bar as well as the menu enty. These are for historical reason made in C++ in FEM.

Means if you copy all FEM directory from femoofem branch you can set up a oofem example with the gui and thus you even have the solver without a python command.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

johnwang wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:22 pm ... To FreeCAD, they are all 3rdParty solver. Same one button.
I like this idea. We do not make a button menu for each solver, we have a 3rd party solver button and this can be linked with a preference to a method in pythons FEM comands module where all the solver are. This way it would not matter if a 3rd party solver is in main sources or a module like the japanese one Front something ...

All I need would be some days with 48 hours ...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bernd wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:20 pm All I need would be some days with 48 hours ...
:? :(
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

bernd wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:20 pm I like this idea. We do not make a button menu for each solver, we have a 3rd party solver button and this can be linked with a preference to a method in pythons FEM comands module where all the solver are.
Use the preferences page to switch 3rd party solver. Under solver folder, there could be oofem and frame3dd folder. No need to be only one 3rdparty folder.
Or the oofem and frame3dd folder all put under 3rdparty folder.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

bernd wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:16 pm Means if you copy all FEM directory from femoofem branch you can set up a oofem example with the gui and thus you even have the solver without a python command.
I'll try only copy https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... lver/oofem

Edit:
also need this file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bernd ... femMesh.py
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.