FEM problem

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: FEM problem

Post by bernd »

RobWalker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:04 pm Freecad crashes when trying to load the demonstration files provided with Freecad and the .stp file loads OK into Part Design so it is not the .stp file causing the problem.
a general demonstration file or a FEM demonstration file? If it crashes on a general demonstration file your topic is totally wrong in FEM and you might not get the help to solve the problem as it is not related to FEM. If you would give us this information I could move the topic to a place where you would get much better help for your problem.

cheers bernd
RobWalker

Post by RobWalker »

Hi

FEM crashes whatever is loaded either my file or the demonstration file. Other functions in FreeCAD seem to work OK>
Thanks
Rob
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

You mean FreeCAD crashes when open any file while the FEM workbench is open? But FreeCAD crashes not when open any file while the FEM workbench is not open?

Greetings
user1234
RobWalker

Post by RobWalker »

Hi

FEM crashes when trying to load any file mine or demonstration. Other parts of Freecad seem to work OK

Thanks

Rob
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

RobWalker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:53 pm Hi

FEM crashes when trying to load any file mine or demonstration. Other parts of Freecad seem to work OK

Thanks

Rob
Have you worked through this Rob? From the FreeCAD wiki - FEM Workbench.

Linux distributions have different ways of installing software. Many distributions have software repositories and package managers; before compiling source code, look in your package manager for netgen, gmsh, calculix-ccx or ccx, and install them following the instructions of your own distribution.

Ubuntu PPA
The freecad-stable and freecad-daily personal package archives (PPA) provide a more recent version of FreeCAD than is available in the official Ubuntu repositories. These PPAs include the most recent netgen, gmsh, and calculix-ccx packages as well. See Installing on Linux for more information on setting up the repositories.

If a PPA is already added to your system, install the packages as follows
sudo apt-get install netgen
sudo apt-get install gmsh
sudo apt-get install calculix-ccx

The freecad-community PPA also provides netgen, gmsh, and calculix-ccx packages for testing. If they are stable enough, they may be added to the daily or stable repositories. The binaries for ccx 2.14 work on Debian Stretch, but not on Debian Buster due to dependency problems.
Note: the thread Ubuntu Repository discusses the creation of the Ubuntu PPA packages. At the time it was written, CalculiX was not included in the Debian repositories, so there were several personal packages in Launchpad. Only one package should be installed.
RobWalker

Post by RobWalker »

Hi

Being new to Ubuntu I am having problem with installing from FreeCAD website but will continue to try.

Thanks

Rob