Combustion Example

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

fungnow

Combustion Example

Post by fungnow »

Does anybody have any combustion example????
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Combustion Example

Post by NewJoker »

Stuff like that is not possible in FEM workbench. Such simulations require quite advanced CFD. You should check OpenFOAM, it can simulate combustion, at least to some degree (I’ve never used it). Selected functionalities of this CFD solver are available via CfdOF module in FreeCAD, check out the subforum related to it.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 pm Stuff like that is not possible in FEM workbench. Such simulations require quite advanced CFD.
True for the second statement, but for the first one, I would be more cautious in dismissing FEM: Elmer is most likely capable of generating results on combustion if handled correctly. From the FEM workbench there would need to be a bit of love given to the simulation file manually after setting the geometry and boundaries, however.

That being said, combustion generally means high Reynolds, and OpenFoam would probably be better as you suggest.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

I was thinking about FreeCAD FEM module’s default solver - CalculiX but you are right that Elmer might be able to simulate this. However, Elmer’s implementation in FreeCAD is likely limited and doesn’t support many functionalities. On the other hand, input files for this solver seem quite user-friendly (not as much as the ones in CalculiX though) so one could try defining missing functionalities manually.
fungnow

Post by fungnow »

my bad! I was hoping to post my question of CFD/cfdOF subforum!