Keyword Editor

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

NewJoker
Veteran

Keyword Editor

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

don't you think that Keyword Editor (a tool to edit existing keywords or add new ones to solver input files without leaving FreeCAD) could be very useful ? Especially for CalculiX where keywords are exceptionally easy to use and understand. FreeCAD still doesn't support many features offered by CalculiX solver but such an editor would be a convenient workaround in many cases. Users could set the whole analysis in FreeCAD, add unsupported keywords, run the simulation and post-process it without having to export input files, edit them and run analyses manually outside of FreeCAD.

Would it be difficult to implement such a tool ? Of course, it should have some kind of protection against edits that could cause conflicts with definitions set in the FEM module. And there should be a way to discard all edits.
aerospaceweeb

Re: Keyword Editor

Post by aerospaceweeb »

I can vouch for the importance of a tool like this.

Calculix benefits from manual keyword injection far less than other solvers do, as FreeCAD already supports a lot of calculix'es staggeringly large feature set.

I have personally gotten around this feature lack by writing include file exporters to read the labels of nodesets and parse specific things in the labels with string parsing.

Theoretically, there would be ways to do this with other entities, but my lack of gui programming skills delay my desire to create such things.

Here's the nodeset exporter I have in work.
https://github.com/zchlrnr/FCMesher/blo ... nodeset.py