Midcurves (and Midsurface)

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

yogeshkulkarni

Midcurves (and Midsurface)

Postby yogeshkulkarni » Tue May 13, 2014 7:26 am

Hello,

I am a PhD student and am just familiar with FreeCAD. During my research I will be developing algorithm for feature based Midsurface (needed for Shell elements in Thin parts). In 2D the corresponding entity, called Midcurve, is being worked on.

Is there any interest in mentoring-guiding me to get these functionalities in FreeCAD-FEM?

I have already started implementation on Midcurves using few other libraries. You may want to refer to thispaper for some idea.

Overall idea of Midsurface Generation can be found here.

Please let me know your comments

Yogesh
jriegel
Site Admin

Re: Midcurves (and Midsurface)

Postby jriegel » Mon May 19, 2014 8:58 am

Hi,
that depends on how much of your work ends up in FreeCAD as Open Source. If there is a notably contribution to the FEM module I'm willing to help you through the code.
Stop whining - start coding!
yogeshkulkarni

Postby yogeshkulkarni » Mon May 19, 2014 1:15 pm

jriegel wrote:Hi,
that depends on how much of your work ends up in FreeCAD as Open Source. If there is a notably contribution to the FEM module I'm willing to help you through the code.
Thanks. Let me start by studying the FreeCAD APIs myself, see if I can get some functionality in place and ask doubts as I go along.
bernd

Postby bernd » Thu May 29, 2014 10:57 am

Just read your papers, very interesting ...

To get the midcurves of solids would be something which could connect the Arch-WB to FEM-WB since in Building Industry nearly all concrete structures are calculated using planar meshes. If we have connected midcurves we'd be able to mesh buildings :)

Thus I'd be really interested in seeing such algorithm in FreeCAD. On Arch Forum we had a basically disscusion about the topic of converting geometrical modell to analytical modells. Yorik implemented some axis for trusses. We allready discused the possibility of planes too viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4973&start=20#p40728