Came across this.

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

keithsloan52
Veteran

Came across this.

Post by keithsloan52 »

Came across the https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/i ... it.639264/ which seemed quite intresting.
ediloren

Re: Came across this.

Post by ediloren »

Well most of the stuff in the thread I think was already to some extent discussed in other posts here, even if the thread in itself is interesting as it actually shows some comparisons.

I just did not like a couple of comments
nice little package on Sourceforge called FreeCAD
Nice yes, but little? :?

And the following one I don't fully understand
Surely it has some restrictions, being free
I would say: surely it has NO restrictions, being free. What can be said (and probably was the real meaning of the comment) ist that FreeCAD compared with the big expensive piece of CAD software does not offer all the possible functionality. But this is a quite different comment.

Ciao
Enrico
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ediloren wrote:And the following one I don't fully understand
Surely it has some restrictions, being free
It comes down to the fact many people have no understanding of what free and open source software is, or know that it even exists. They are used to free closed source software which always has a catch.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

normandc wrote:It comes down to the fact many people have no understanding of what free and open source software is, or know that it even exists. They are used to free closed source software which always has a catch.
Indeed... "There is no free lunch" is something a lot of people believe, specially in the engineering/architecture field. In a way they are right, of course, but not taken so literally. Also, the big vendors like a LOT to say this phrase in all the lectures they do...
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Whilst on a visit to Oxford, I popped into their hackspace and got chating to an interesting guy. After working for Sony he was now earning a living doing freelance circuit design. He was not very keen on open source as he did not want to get part way through a project and be unable to meet a commitment to a client due to some software limitation / bug. With paid for software he felt he had somewhere to turn to or kick. Obviously he was making enough money to be able to afford the commercial software OrcCAD etc in his case. I can respect his position, but me I am a fan of FreeCAD because there is no way I could afford or justify paying for Solidworks.