[Behaviour suggestions] New sketch plane selection

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Re: [Behaviour suggestions] New sketch plane selection

Post by paddle »

openBrain wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:58 am First step here to allow selection with full bounding box of labels rather than precisely picking inside the font : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5396

ATM, changing line to be thicker will happen in all situations (plane selection, but also simple origin display). Is that acceptable ? If it isn't, it would need to introduce a mechanism to have hot change depending on the situation.
Great !

Regarding the selectability, why not making the whole planes selectable? As if they were actually solids? This way it's even easier to click and there is no line width issue.

See my mockup with transparent solids :
solid planes.png
solid planes.png (38.1 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:13 am Regarding the selectability, why not making the whole planes selectable? As if they were actually solids? This way it's even easier to click and there is no line width issue.
Once again, remember that ATM the viewport representation and selection area is same both in "Select a plane" and "Normal display of origin". ;)
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:18 am
paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:13 am Regarding the selectability, why not making the whole planes selectable? As if they were actually solids? This way it's even easier to click and there is no line width issue.
Once again, remember that ATM the viewport representation and selection area is same both in "Select a plane" and "Normal display of origin". ;)
Oh now I understand. I didn't get what you meant by 'simple origin display' as I rarely set it visible.

Then yes I think it's OK to increase the line thickness for both (x5 thickness). And then making the whole plane selectable is not the best.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:29 am Then yes I think it's OK to increase the line thickness for both (x5 thickness). And then making the whole plane selectable is not the best.
ATM I hardly understand the mean. The thickness of lines is roughly same as the lines in Sketcher, so your problem should be more general than just on the plane selection. Did you try to increase your Pick Radius ?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:45 am
paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:29 am Then yes I think it's OK to increase the line thickness for both (x5 thickness). And then making the whole plane selectable is not the best.
ATM I hardly understand the mean. The thickness of lines is roughly same as the lines in Sketcher, so your problem should be more general than just on the plane selection. Did you try to increase your Pick Radius ?
Hmm I think I should increase my Pick Radius in general indeed.
Though it's more that when you create a new sketch and need to select the plane, the easier it is to select the plane the better. Having to aim precisely at the line is needlesly time-consuming. It would be best if we can just throw the mouse roughly at it and being on it if you see what I mean.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:58 amIt would be best if we can just throw the mouse roughly at it and being on it if you see what I mean.
This is the purpose of Pick Radius. :)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5408 implements a single click selection in the viewport.

PR is draft now, time to get some answers from community :
* Single click selection is enabled by default. Is it correct or do you prefer it to be disabled ?
* It can be enabled/disabled with a parameter. Is it enough (rare use cases where it has to be changed) or should a preference checkbox be implemented ?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5408 implements a single click selection in the viewport.

PR is draft now, time to get some answers from community :
* Single click selection is enabled by default. Is it correct or do you prefer it to be disabled ?
* It can be enabled/disabled with a parameter. Is it enough (rare use cases where it has to be changed) or should a preference checkbox be implemented ?
I think by default is good :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am * Single click selection is enabled by default.
Let's start with this and no checkbox. There is still the list for the cautious.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

So let's release the PR.