[Feature request] Provide in Sketcher dedicated information about points

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

[Feature request] Provide in Sketcher dedicated information about points

Post by chrisb »

Edit: This topic was split from this topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?p=565881
jdawg wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:13 pm Just to clarify on what I am talking about: From what I can tell there is no way to click on a vertex and see what constraints exist on it(I assume that is because it is not "real" piece of geometry). If you click on the 2 lines that form the coincident constraint you get ALL the other irrelevant constraints associated with those lines
That would indeed be great, if "Select associated constraints" would work on points as well. It could show all coincidences, point-to-point tangencies, orthogonal, point-on-object and the dimensions. To find the coincidences the constraint filter could be used.

For now showing the "Extended information" for the constraints may help, it shows the numbers minus 1 of the geometric elements involved.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jdawg

Re: [Behaviour suggestion] Merge 'Coincident' and 'point on object'

Post by jdawg »

That would indeed be great, if "Select associated constraints" would work on points as well.
Yes tried too ;-) It seems to be aware that something was selected but provides no output ;-(.

I did enable the "Extended Information" but was unable to make sense of it. Thanks to your hint and some digging on the forum I was able to get more out of it. In short it's Pythons internal representation which explains the 0 indexing.
BTW: I noticed that the Assembly 3 Link branch has added the ability to see the different position points/types of "Elements" (i.e edge, start, end , mid). This makes that 2nd parameter in the "Constraints" window much more useful since graphically start and end don't' really exist(unless your memory is insanely good as to which point you drew first) and its more like vertex1 and vertex2.
In any case this is probably not the thread to continue this discussion; however I'm, not sure if anyone is looking at improving this or where the discussion would/should continue.

Thanks again.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Provide in Sketcher dedicated information about points

Post by chrisb »

I have split the topic.
jdawg wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:31 am BTW: I noticed that the Assembly 3 Link branch has added the ability to see the different position points/types of "Elements" (i.e edge, start, end , mid).
This is available in master too: In the Elements section you can choose the "Type" to display.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Provide in Sketcher dedicated information about points

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:30 pm For now showing the "Extended information" for the constraints may help, it shows the numbers minus 1 of the geometric elements involved.
Mostly yes. Except for external geometries.
It irritated me for a pretty long time that it was not easy to get the link between constraints extended naming, and geometries extended naming.

I now pushed https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/6344 that adds GeoId in geometries extended naming, so hopefully it would be easier to figure out the link with constraints :
geoDisp.png
geoDisp.png (47.62 KiB) Viewed 883 times