#2683 Refinement transformation

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: #2683 Refinement transformation

Post by DeepSOIC »

I can quickly hack up a refine feature for partdesign in part-o-magic... I can change OpenSCAD one to support PartDesign, likewise. Writing a c++ refinement feature is also not hard, but I'm lazy when it comes to c++. Implementing refine as a property - I like the idea, but it will probably take some time to implement, as there are quite a few features to cover. Maybe it is actually a change in one or two places, I'll have a quick look...
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Adding a property looks very easy, I'm in!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Nice!
Greedy user question; In the future would this be possible in Part also?
It's quite a feature to have the refine a property, rather than a feature.
"fight the good fight"
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:00 pm Greedy user question; In the future would this be possible in Part also?
I see no reasons for not doing it as well...
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:00 pm Nice!
Greedy user question; In the future would this be possible in Part also?
Done, added to same pull request.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Your proposal i guess should help when it comes to opening the document by different users. As per-feature setting will persist as originally set. What likely will happen from time to time is users will change this property. And by doing that topology of the feature will become different. And that comes down to errors and redefining child features. Therefore to potential confusion.

That is why until some topology/geometry based solution exist in FreeCAD to tackle this and improve things. I feel the most transparent option still is a Refine feature. You can't just change that once you add it. If you delete it obviously you need to redefine child features.

But said that i am OK with whatever happens. And hopefully there will be some agreement between developers on this.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks for doing this DeepSOIC, it's more than I had asked for. :D

One thing worries me, once this is merged into master, what happens when we load files created in a previous version? Will the features be lacking the Refine property and throw an error? Or will they have one generated from the preferences?

Also, being greedy myself, :oops:

Shouldn't additive and subtractive primitives from the PD wb also have a Refine property?

I did say I felt it was not a small job :D

We have a saying in my little corner of the world, "se mettre le bras dans le tordeur" (French rather say "le doigt dans l'engrenage"), which has no equivalent but could be translated as "in for a penny, in for a pound". :P
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 am One thing worries me, once this is merged into master, what happens when we load files created in a previous version?
It should initialize itself to the value as in preferences.

NormandC wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 am Shouldn't additive and subtractive primitives from the PD wb also have a Refine property?
I forgot about them. DOH! :x
And also PD Booleans. Yea, that is quite a bit more code repetition than it looked at first glance.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

As it looks like this property will be available in a lot of places. This property changes topology therefore we will need to make end users aware of this fact somehow (caution and understanding is still needed). Likely to mention it in documentation on the Wiki, provide the info through forum help once the questions will be asked on what is going on. And i was thinking it makes sense to provide such info in tootlip of the property.

In short playing with this property will result in things like sketch being mapped to the wrong face after.