Loft fails on OSX

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
jmaustpc

Re: Loft fails on OSX

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Jee-Bee wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:25 pm
jmaustpc wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 am
Hi all, regarding the Sketch containing only a point, this will not work because Sketcher Point is only a Construction geometry item not a real Geometry item.
Did you mean this topic (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13435) or did you talk about another one?
no, I am talking about a conversation way back when sketcher point was first added. I can't remember when that was but its probably FreeCAD 0.13 or something, .......a long time ago.
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:07 pm

abdullah wrote: ping
Abdullah what do you think about this? Is this something for the bug tracker?
abdullah

Postby abdullah » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Jee-Bee wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:07 pm
abdullah wrote:
ping

Abdullah what do you think about this? Is this something for the bug tracker?
I never thought a point could be relevant in non-construction mode.

It is clear to me that it won't work as of today, because it is construction geometry and construction geometry gets ignored in non-edit mode.

I have been away for a while, but I kindda remember that construction/non-construction for points was reused for knots in bsplines. I tell this so that if somebody goes for it and tries to implement it, it may interfere with the current implementation of knots in the sketcher. Just to keep in mind.

While lofting might work with points (I did not know, I never tried), I would tend to think that most other part design features won't. This means that probably most operations on a sketch with a non-construction point may fail (but of course everytime that a sketch is not "appropriate" an operation fails, so nothing new other than maybe the difficulty for an user to ascertain whether a point he sees in the sketch is construction or non-construction).

In any case: Is it a bug? Not in my opinion, as the behaviour is as per design. May it be a feature request? Sure it can be!

If a feature request is created, it would really help "attract attention" to make developers aware of what exactly is what we are gaining with such a feature. I do not have time ATM to go through all the thread, but it is certainly the first thing that pops into my mind, clearly seeing the benefit, for that cost/benefit analysis every developer does when looking feature requests ;)

P.S.: In the past I was doing some pyramids using PD by lofting for 3D printing. I ended up carbon copying the bottom sketch and making the dimensions of the top sketch very small, which after printing was not noticeable. It would have been cool to just be able to do that with a point...
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Is someone with bug tracker permission able to add this on the bug tracker?
I'm not able to login (at least not with my FreeCAD login name and password)
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:42 pm

jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:57 am

Further to Abdullah's comments, It's also not as simple as just adding points geometry to Sketcher because you will in most cases be adding additional vertices to the wire/face extracted from the sketch and thereby creating what will in many cases be invalid geometry, so a subsystem would also need to be developed to handle this and it would likely require user input.