Unnamed out of BaseFeature

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fosselius

Re: Unnamed out of BaseFeature

Post by fosselius »

It was a bad Pokemon joke... shame on me...
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I am a little bit rusty. Maybe you can help come up to date.

1. What is the intended use of PDN clone?

2. Is it generally working?

3. If not, what is it missing?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Here is some info:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25265

P.S. Could be some more work was done on it until then. And the info might be a bit outdated.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

So, if i understood it well, it is like Draft clone, but to avoid error messages with the scope.

Then, one use case should be to make a second part base on a first part?
clone_other_part.png
clone_other_part.png (34.4 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
noTipToday.FCStd
(22.09 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Here I cloned pocket of Part1 and a body of Part using this clone. However, I get an error on the clone (though it seems to work).

Am I doing something wrong/not intended?

I tried to repeat with Draft clone instead, but them there are lots of exclamation errors with little clue why.

What would it happen if I start using PD Clone in all the cases where I was using Draft Clone? I mean, I gain nothing (except when applying it to PD), but do I lose anything?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

The way i understand it anything "going out of scope" is problematic when it comes to (possible) future Assembly proposal/implementation. Therefore on how PartDesign Clone should work and on why. And things like that. This highly likely will and can only be truly figured out through FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle.

P.S. If PartDesign Clone is "going out of scope" in its current implementation. I could imagine that by itself might represent a potential future Assembly related issue.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I have dedicated to this bug the whole week. I am sorry but I cannot manage to find what exactly is making it behave like this and generate these "Unnamed".

It is so annoying it needs fixing before 0.17 release. However we need a more competent programmer here :(
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

One thought i had is where does the "Unnamed" term came from? Is it using default term for a document? And does the Unnamed feature get added at document save or open operation? To me it looks like it gets added on document open operation?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

triplus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:57 pm One thought i had is where does the "Unnamed" term came from? Is it using default term for a document? And does the Unnamed feature get added at document save or open operation? To me it looks like it gets added on document open operation?
It is added on restoring. It is not there in the file if you uncompress it and look at the xml file.

I have "grep" the whole source code of FreeCAD for "Unnamed". Still I did not manage to find where the problem is generated... :(
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Well at least you are getting some understanding of the PartDesign related code in the process. I do imagine in FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle that could prove to be useful. ;) And we got it narrowed down to opening a document and restoring a BaseFeature.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »