Datum Plane orientation request

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Datum Plane orientation request

Post by Zolko »

RatonLaveur wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 pm Fair comment for my tangent on sketch centering. But sometimes you want more than one sketch at more than one position in the same plane. In this case a plane speaks a lot more to me than a LCS.
What you can do then is create a coordinate system, attach a DatumPlane to its OXY (so they have the same orientation) and attach your Sketches to that DatumPlane.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Yes that would work. I may need to improve my workflow. Especially now that i realise who I'm talking to, with your contributions it's no wonder you're a LCS wizard :)

Yet the fact remains...workplane creation tool still is unclear. So to get a fully functional workplane I'd have to first create and attach an LCS then create and attach a workplane... Surely we together can think of something more streamlined :)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

RatonLaveur wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:36 pm So to get a fully functional workplane I'd have to first create and attach an LCS then create and attach a workplane... Surely we together can think of something more streamlined :)
Apart from a macro, I wouldn't know.

Else, you can think about low-level stuff: if you know C++ you can look in the source-code, probably in Mod/PartDesign/Gui/ViewProviderDatumPlane, and add 2 vertices representing the X and Y axes of the plane. And (re-)compile. :geek:
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thats going into the right direction. I have the feeling that everything is there and needs only to be recombined: During creation/edit just show a LCS showing XYZ.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Yes! Epiphany!

LCS attaches the exact same way as a datum plane! That datum planes appeared in a prior release 0.17 and LCS later 0.18 should not make a difference.

In fact, and i think Zolko demonstrates it epically, an LCS is in many ways more powerful than a datum plane. A datum plane being then only a subset of an LCS (I'll get to the point soon).

We are here essentially arriving at the conclusion that when creating and attaching a plane we'd like the underlying LCS to be shown.

But creating a plane (using the plane tool) is in fact attaching an LCS, we therefore just need to see both, where the plane is of course the XY of the LCS.

So both the Plane and LCS tools make us create and attach a LCS except when using the Plane tool specifically, a plane is automatically added both visually and as an object.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

+1 to the request of showing the plane's LCS when creating it. I think it will be much more user friendly, the current state is rather confusing for newbies and maybe not just newbies...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It would have the additional benefit of showing where the center is.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

this is again going from a meaningful request to see the plane orientation in to complete nonsense, please stop it. LCS represents the origin of an coordinate system, plane represents a plane, kids in the primary school learn about this...

other parametric cad programs do however indeed have a visual presentation of the plane orientation which is in most case case just an arrow and only visible when the plane is selected. having this visible all the time is not really necessary and when you have a more complex model (with many planes in example) this additional graphics only represent additional unwanted clutter on your screen, one additional line quickly becomes hundreds in some cases even thousand of additional lines.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:43 pmDuring creation/edit just show a LCS showing XYZ.
adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:04 am +1 to the request of showing the plane's LCS when creating it.
saso wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:49 am this is again going from a meaningful request to see the plane orientation in to complete nonsense, please stop it. LCS represents the origin of an coordinate system, plane represents a plane, kids in the primary school learn about this...
Please read other posts thoroughly. Obviously formerly not all kids have learned this in primary school.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

but it still does not really make sense to use the LCS presentation for this, datum plane has no origin, it is visually represented by the yellow square but is actually infinite large. using the same visual representation for it as we use for the LCS (even if just temporary) could be at most seen as a workaround, for real however it does not make sense, is confusing and wrong. developing an engineering tool should show that the tool understands some of this basic geometrical concepts and properly represents them.

also, map mode pitch and roll of both the datum plane and the sketch (or other objects attached to the plane) do already give the user the needed tools to have control over this.