Datum Plane orientation request

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Datum Plane orientation request

Post by saso »

Zolko wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 am this already exists and works: select the sketch (in th tree), select MapMode, then select the vertex (point) on the plane where you want the origin to be, as second reference select the datum plane as in "Tangent to Surface"...
nice, but it is actually the other way around, first one has to select the datum plane, then the vertex, to get the proper, expected behavior... i quite like this discussion, wish we would have similar ones also for the many other functionalities :)
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Zolko wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 am It's probably possible to also orient the sketch's axis, I let you discover that.
can be done with expressions, but it gets a bit ugly and specially if you start to turn it in more then one direction... still fun :)

Cube and Cube001 are sort of the main objects of this demo model. Control cubes are just to better show the the main origin and plane position, to test:
- inside the Sketch move the endpoints of the line
- change DatumPlane position x, y or z
- change angle of the Local_CS
Attachments
demo001.FCStd
(10.61 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hello saso,

Thank you for the links. Besides the undeniable interesting nature of the content, I count close to 30 minutes of videos and two full sketching tutorials. Perhaps you might be so kind as to sum-up your take on this documentation for other users?

Overall my take on it is:
- this documentation shows that every aspect of our discussion up to now is addressing the right issues regarding spatial positioning of sketch based features using datums such as planes, lines and LCS.
- it also provides a clear definition of what a properly and improperly referenced sketch looks and behaves like
- it confirms that we have all the tools already at hand in FreeCAD at the moment (barring the original discussion of making them more intuitive and visual).
- All sketches in FreeCAD are technically already positioned unless I'm mistaken. The distinction is training of the user.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hello gents,

Just to say, that after working more and more with LCS, I find them so much better at everything attachment wise...probably why zolko is making such a killing with Assembly 4.

So my current workflow to create a proper datum plane, is to first produce the LCS, and then use that for attaching the plane.
Which in my opinion reinforces possibly the need to combine the two operations somewhat when attaching a plane.

If I follow this workflow, my sketches are always properly oriented and centered from the start. So much better...
ModuloFS

Post by ModuloFS »

Hello together,

maybe i read over it, but everytime i start a new sketch on a datum plane, it starts at the same point with the same x y z orientation on the datum plane, or it does not? If it does so, why i can not draw / show an axis cross at this point of the datum plane?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ModuloFS wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:06 pm If it does so, why i can not draw / show an axis cross at this point of the datum plane?
If you can do it, it would be welcome, at least during creation time of the DatumPlane. I am not sure if this should be shown too after creation time, because it would clutter the view. To make the latter configurable would probably be a good option.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ModuloFS

Post by ModuloFS »

I agree, but unfortunately i have not enough progamming skills to do so. Maybe the person who created the datum objects read it and can do that..
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

issue #4250 Sketcher placement and its axis visualisation