Datum Plane orientation request

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Datum Plane orientation request

Post by realthunder »

Zolko wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 am But there is something that's more important in my eyes: that the size of the coordinate system remains constant on the screen, that it doesn't scale with the part when zooming in and out.
I just added that in commit this and this. It is in LinkDev branch not LinkStage3, because I am working on some other features right now.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

realthunder wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 am I just added that in commit this and this.
I replaced the 2 files and tried to compile, both with the LinkStage3 and also from the main git repo, but it doesn't compile.

EDIT: I replaced all 4 files, and now it compiles and the size of the LCS is now constant on the screen, exactly as it should. Yes, this is very good, this should be default.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

realthunder wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 am
Zolko wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 am But there is something that's more important in my eyes: that the size of the coordinate system remains constant on the screen, that it doesn't scale with the part when zooming in and out.
I just added that in commit this and this. It is in LinkDev branch not LinkStage3, because I am working on some other features right now.
now that LinkStage3 might be the next v0.19, could you include this fix into it ?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Zolko wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:29 pm now that LinkStage3 might be the next v0.19, could you include this fix into it ?
Yes, sure.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hello all, sorry to revive this topic, but I'm really struggling with the Datum Plane creation.
I never know which direction they are oriented until my sketch is mapped drawn and extruded. Now i can always flip the plane or reverse the sketch mapping mode in a few clicks, but it is a bit tedious and can become rather frustrating when some sketches just break completely when this happens.

Has the original question of this post been resolved somewhat? (i.e.: visualize during datum plane creation what the normal positive axis is).

Thank you for your kind help.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/Switzerland (fr_CH)
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

as far as i know, you can only attach a coordinate system after creating the Datum Plane.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

But the option to flip the plane is there already. So I'm flipping it from what to what? ;)

I can also wiggle the Z value up and down a bit. So somehow the direction already exist.

For example if during the plane creation freecad automatically shows me a small green plane at z+1mm and a small red plane at z-1mm I'd know at all times what my yellow plane's orientation will be.

Although I'm dead certain there's a better way to show it :)

Datum planes are so important to truly make proper master based parametric design that i think this discussion ought to be had.

The center of the plane seems to be of importance too to center the sketch. But freecad does not like attaching a plane normal to an edge and attached to the same edge's vertex, so i always use excentered vertices and edges which moves my sketch origin off center, which means when i try flipping the sketch when i realise the plane was in the wrong orientation things break.
Last edited by RatonLaveur on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Showing a coordinate system during editing of a DatumPlane - especially during creation - would be great. These extremely unlucky named properties yaw, roll, and pitch could then be coloured in the dialog in the same way as the axes of the coordiante system.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:03 pm Showing a coordinate system during editing of a DatumPlane - especially during creation - would be great.
Why not use coordinate systems to attach Sketches directly ? You'd have the orientation, and also the position - and orientation - of the X and Y axes. Since DatumPlanes cannot be resized properly their visual aid is limited anyway.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Fair comment for my tangent on sketch centering. But sometimes you want more than one sketch at more than one position in the same plane. In this case a plane speaks a lot more to me than a LCS.