What is needed and Release 14 Issues

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: What is needed and Release 14 Issues

Post by NormandC »

jrheinlaender wrote:How is the daily PPA build created?
It is waaaaaaaay past my bed time right now :roll: , but I can explain tomorrow. I know sh!t about git but I now know a thing or two about debian packaging (within limits).

I've been thinking it would be best to write a tutorial on the wiki, that way others could pick up the slack if Werner or me don't have time to do it. Unfortunately I can't reliably access the wiki any more since the move nearly 2 months ago.

But as I said earlier the daily PPA is based on a bzr branch that is cloned from git master, and the bzr cannot clone a branch, only the master repo. So I think you could only manually create packages like you did for the liboce-0.12 packages. Since all you need to build is source packages, it's not that big a job to do every other week.

What I was wondering in a previous message, would the debuild command compile the branch that has been set active in git, or will it compile master? Also it would be nice if this version could be installed alongside the "regular" one. But that would require changing all the paths and the exec name...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

jrheinlaender wrote:Coming back to the subject of how to best test a branch, I would be happy to put my branch onto my PPA if someone can explain to me how to make a debian source package from the FC sources. There is a script makedebian.sh in the package subdirectory but it asks for SVN so I guess it is kind of outdated.
With "debian source package" you mean the .deb file? To create a .deb package you can copy the "debian" directory from the PPA repository (corresponding to your Ubuntu version). If you also need to create a source tarball you can run "make dist"
normandc wrote:What I was wondering in a previous message, would the debuild command compile the branch that has been set active in git, or will it compile master?
debuild doesn't know that the sources are under git control. So, it just builds from the currently active branch.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote:debuild doesn't know that the sources are under git control. So, it just builds from the currently active branch.
Those two sentences seem contradictory to me. If debuild does not recognize git control, how can it build from a branch rather than from master?

For example I pulled jrheinlaender' branch (notice the url) and compiled, expecting to get his work from his branch dev-assembly-partdesign. What I got is a new compiled copy of FreeCAD master, none of his changes. Won't debuild do the same, even if I follow mrlukeparry's guide prior to debuild, since it cannot recognize git control?

I guess I'll have to try it out.
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

wmayer wrote:To create a .deb package you can copy the "debian" directory from the PPA repository
I got to this point:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~freecad-ma ... se/files/1

Is there any way I can download the whole debian directory in one go without having to select every single file?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You need to install the bazaar version control system.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bzr
Then pull the branch:

bzr branch lp:~freecad-maintainers/freecad/packaging.precise
bzr is similar to git, but a little simpler IMO. But apparently it's not as fast, nor very used.

Sorry I didn't answer you like I was supposed to. I got busy with topics in the Help forum. :D

And now I need to get to bed... :oops:

P.S. Let me know if you want to join the freecad-maintainers team. :)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

normandc wrote:
wmayer wrote:debuild doesn't know that the sources are under git control. So, it just builds from the currently active branch.
Those two sentences seem contradictory to me. If debuild does not recognize git control, how can it build from a branch rather than from master?

For example I pulled jrheinlaender' branch (notice the url) and compiled, expecting to get his work from his branch dev-assembly-partdesign. What I got is a new compiled copy of FreeCAD master, none of his changes. Won't debuild do the same, even if I follow mrlukeparry's guide prior to debuild, since it cannot recognize git control?

I guess I'll have to try it out.
When you run debuild it expects the "debian" directory in the root directory. From there it runs the "rules" file. That's more or less all what it does (besides some consistency checks). It doesn't care about the source code. This means it just compiles the current source code as is -- which is the currently active branch (like master or any other branch). So, in order to build a certain branch you have to explicitly "checkout", first. And note, master is also only a branch.

Btw, there is also a special build tool for git [1] repos which might be of interest your you.

[1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/mav ... age.1.html
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

Hi,

for anybody wanting to test the new PartDesign branch, I have now uploaded a package to my PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~jrheinlaender/+archive/ppa

This will pull in version 0.14-jrh-dev-assembly-partdesign~precise, so if you want to have the stable version back, you will have to do something like

sudo apt-get install freecad=0.12.5284-dfsg-5ubuntu1

(you can get the exact version string from the output of apt-cache show freecad).

Let me know if you want to have a package for an Ubuntu version other than precise.

Jan
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Let me know if you want to have a package for an Ubuntu version other than precise.
Yes RR version would be great.
This will pull in version 0.14-jrh-dev-assembly-partdesign~precise, so if you want to have the stable version back, you will have to do something like

sudo apt-get install freecad=0.12.5284-dfsg-5ubuntu1
Usually user would use:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:jrheinlaender/ppa
This command/tool downgrades packages to Software Center defaults BUT i doubt Ubuntu users use FreeCAD from Software Center instead we use stable or daily PPA.

software-properties-gtk
Here user can control PPAs and probably removing FreeCAD completely and then switching ON/OFF desired PPA that was added in the past (stable, daily, jrheinlaender...) and running:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install freecad
Would install desired version of FreeCAD. For example stable PPA to OFF and jrheinlaender PPA to ON would probably install the package from your PPA. To get back to stable PPA package freecad should be removed, your PPA to OFF, stable ON and:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install freecad
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Jan! I will give it a try. :)

As for how to downgrade FreeCAD, you can also easily do that in Synaptic (don't know about Muon), search for the freecad package, click on it, then go to "Package" menu --> Force version (not sure of the wording as my system is in French). I generally avoid using the terminal when I can. ;)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I've installed your version. I will need to test further before giving more detailed/insightful feedback. I admit for now it is a little confusing.

I like the basic planes, and the fact you click on one and click Create sketch, the sketch is automatically mapped to it. But it would be good to have preselection/selection highlighting on datum planes.

I miss the icon preview of the old sketch plane dialog.

I have not managed to get booleans between bodies to work. The list is always empty, a boolean feature is added but it seems empty.

Bodies can be translated/rotated! That's going to make a bunch of people happy. :)

Features from sketch on datum planes get fused/cut automatically from parent feature! Ditto.

Sometimes the Body label disappears. Bug?

After I've created the second body, I have trouble working on the first and add features (even if I double-clicked on the label to activate it). I mapped a sketch on the last feature and tried to pocket or pad it without success.

Datum plane: Reference 2, Reference 3 and angle field are greyed out with no apparent way to use them. When I try to change the datum plane's placement angle in its properties, it is as soon set to its original value. Same thing with the Edit --> Placement utility.

Anyway as I said I'll test further.