Starting parts

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Starting parts

Post by yorik »

I think if you model something based on an existing object, you can hardly be held responsible for breaking some copyright... It's the same as if for example you model an Ikea furniture, I don't think you can be prohibited to do that. The difference is probably, as you say, if you provide a model that is not yours...
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

I also think we are mostly of the save side if some user model parts with FreeCAD. The copiright laws mostly apply to CAD-files and drawings itself. For the general shape there are different legal standards. In germany you can file a "Geschmacksmuster" which is a light wight patent on shapes (styling). But this mostly apply (like patents) if you pursue commercial purpose. As long as we don't earn money with the shape gallery we should be save (in that sense).

I fear at some stage of our little venture we need a lawyer.... :)
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

One safe thing to do is certainly to leave that library as something outside freecad itself, a community-driven side-project...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

OK, I uploaded files to the library.

I would like to know if I did it right!

Here's what I did:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCAD-library.git
To get a local copy of the git repo.

Then I added folders and files in my local copy. Then I used

git add dir/filename
to add the files. Then

git commit -m "Commit description"
to make commits.

And finally to push those files I did

git push origin master
Was that OK? Because I've read of remotes and of merge and it still all confuses the hell out of me. :?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Wow, nice! Just browsing the repo now, yes it seems you did everything perfectly.
One git command I use a lot is "git status": it shows you everything, in which branch you are, if you are ahead of the remote repo, which files are about to be committed, etc... And you can undo anything, even revert a commit you pushed to the online repo.

Basically the greatest danger of git, which is to modify the history of the online repo (for example someone pushed something after you pulled, and committing your changes now would wipe out his changes), is prevented by github (sourceforge too), if you try to push something that has a different history than the online repo, your push is rejected. So there is actually not much harm possible.

To be on the safe side, always do "git pull" before doing some work, so you're sure to work with the latest version. With freecad itself, some people (you know who i mean :) ) work so fast that sometimes someone commits after you pulled, during the 5 minutes you've been working on fixing a bug, and in those cases your commits are rejected, you need to git pull again. Git then creates some "fake" commits (you can see them all over the freecad commits - Yorik merged the contents of repo XXX - but this is all normal.
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

yorikvanhavre wrote:Basically the greatest danger of git, which is to modify the history of the online repo (for example someone pushed something after you pulled, and committing your changes now would wipe out his changes), is prevented by github (sourceforge too), if you try to push something that has a different history than the online repo, your push is rejected. So there is actually not much harm possible.
I haven't tried it on your repo. But for my own repos I'am able to do force a push.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5094 ... rom-push-f
https://support.enterprise.github.com/e ... rce-Pushes
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

yorikvanhavre wrote:With freecad itself, some people (you know who i mean :) ) work so fast that sometimes someone commits after you pulled, during the 5 minutes you've been working on fixing a bug, and in those cases your commits are rejected, you need to git pull again.
Hmmm, who could that be? :roll:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

:lol:
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

Here is my approach for standard parts like screws. The macro provides four type of ISO-screws in several diameters and lengths.
Attachments
screw_maker.py.zip
Macro for making screws
(8.23 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

Great work.
As Jürgen pointed out, a script should not be part of the parts library for security reasons. I would like to see this script included into FreeCAD (LGPL), but unfortunately it is licensed GPL 2+.

The heads look relay great. But i think there should be a chamfer with amount of the pitch at end of the screw (or any male thread).
From the UI perspective i personally would prefer to use the task view instead of a dialog.