Starting parts

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Starting parts

Post by NormandC »

I agree with Yorik, viewing a part in the browser is very cool.

The best online repository would be a little like 3DContentCentral: a 3D viewer showing the part (but one that does not require a special plugin only available on Windows), then a dropdown menu in which you can select which format you want to download: FCStd, STEP, IGES, .brep, even .stl...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

One thing that will probably happen when freecad becomes a bit more widespread (I don't think we'll need to wait long) is that those sites that share 3d models will have fcstd format available too. People at http://www.designoteca.com and http://grabcad.com already talked about that some time ago...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Actually there was already License and LicenseURL properties in the document! They just weren't visible in the Doc properties dialog. I fixed that now... I noted that Freecad sets these strings to CC 3.0 by default on new files... We could have a preference setting so users can set their default.
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

yorikvanhavre wrote:I noted that Freecad sets these strings to CC 3.0 by default on new files
This sound a little like a shrink wrap contract to me. I think that we should change the default to all right reserved, because a we can't issues licenses on behalf of an user, not knowing that there is a field for a license.
The bullying on the user should start when uploading files with an insufficient license to the part library or a sharing website.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes that seems a good idea to me... I just committed a change that sets the default license to "All rights reserved", with no URL. Ok for you Jürgen?
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

No
If we do "All rights reserved" no one is allowed to touch such a document! We should never ever use this as default!
I would suggest CC-By 3.0 as default. But to be honest, I feel not good to do it silently. We should have at least a
option in the preferences, or even ask the first time....

Opinions at this?
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay I reverted the last commit... Indeed we should do something more flexible...
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

How about this:
The default is unset at first.
When a file is newly created (and the default is unset) the user is forced to decide on the license when saving the file for the first time.
inside the dialog CC-BY 3.0 is preselected. It offers a check box to make the current selection the default.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes maybe, but I'm also thinking that at some point in time, probably freecad will need a dialog that opens on first install, that asks for some basic configuration settings, such as preferred units, etc.. Most technical software do something like that. So that might be a good idea to setup something more robust like that, that can be more easily extended later
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm going to upload parts soon... But I'm wondering, I've modeled an aluminum profile that is used for the framing of some RepRap 3D printers. I modeled it based on a profile sold by Misumi but a few other companies have their own. I'm wondering if we could have problems with supplying parts modeled from existing commercial products?

Should I give it a generic name? I was going for the Misumi part number but now I'm unsure.

FYI this is the one I used here: https://github.com/normandc/Lulzbot-TK- ... -500.fcstd

Maybe I'm unnecessarily cautious, there are already a few files in the FreeCAD-library modeled from existing components, and many sharing sites have been doing it as well for a number of years.

BTW last year a user uploaded a large library of hardware parts to Mantis after a discussion on the forum.
forum topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2776&start=0
Mantis: https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/f ... php?id=778

Problem is, the parts were not all modeled by him, and he could not specify their license. There are a limited number of FCStd files, most are STEP files. I opened many and saw that they were generated by Autodesk Inventor, not FreeCAD.

Even if he said this:
threedbb wrote:OK. I am sure these files are free for use. None of these files were created by Autodesk. They were created by users and available on user forums about 10 years ago. most are no longer on the internet or I would quote the source. They were entered in a table from numbers available from standard hardware sources and from the PEM data sheets that are available on the PEM internet site.
I don't know about you, but I don't think we should use these parts... Apart from the FreeCAD files he made.