chrisb wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:56 am
Half of your posts here are feature requests. That gives the impression that you dont want FreeCAD but rather another system you probably already know. Please note that FreeCAD is not a clone of some other system. And hopefully will not be.
I just don't understand. Of course half my post are feature ideas in order to improve the user experience and make it better. What do you want people to post about? I think feature ideas should be much more appreciated than "How can I do that" posts. I'm kind of disappointed that no one replied to any feature ideas I posted there... I even wanted to make them myself, but now I wonder if they would even be integrated or if that would be a total waste of time...
I don't want FreeCAD to be a clone of whatever as you say. I just try to make it better on some points. You should value new user feedback because they help to see what is not so user friendly and could be improved. Of course once you get used to the way things are and know all shortcuts. the optimization I present may not seem so usefull. But from a new user it does make sens. And even for experienced user I think they will cut time.
- Drawing first adding constraints after makes a lot of steps. Entering dimensions while drawing make things much faster. Ok if you learned all shortcuts for the constraints it can be OK-fast, but the new user does not know all shortcuts and it take ages to add all constraints by clicking. And even if you know all shortcuts, it's still faster to be able to type the dimensions. I don't say to make this mandatory as kisolre seem to have understood
, but to make that an option to have either way of doing.
- About the sketcher chamfer tool, ok other CAD software have it. Does that mean FreeCAD will become a "clone" of them if it integrates this very basic feature? Why having a fillet tool and not a chamfer tool in the sketcher? Can you tell me why it would be bad to have it and why it's somehow a bad feature idea?
- About the cut tool : Sorry but that's not becoming a clone of another CAD, it's just a missing feature. Just how do you do the thing I tried to do in my video? Currently you just can't. I tried work-around by making a pocket to remove all material behind my plane. And the answer is that it does not work because it would create two solids. Sorry but that's not an answer. The design I was trying to make is currently not possible to make with current features. It's not about becoming a clone of whatever.
- About the injection-molded case shell tool : I never seen this feature in another CAD software. It's just what I claimed to describe, a feature idea that would make FreeCAD much superior to other CAD to design product cases. Though I understand this can be difficult to make and low priority, this is still a good idea and should be kept in store.
- Round corner rectangle : I have not seen this feature idea in another CAD before. I think it would be kind of cool feature because often when you use fillet tool, it's just to round the 4 corners of a rectangle. Of course not always, but having an additional small tool like this make the software more powerfull.
Overall I'm a bit sad. I came here thinking "FreeCAD looks awesome let's try to get involved!". I started to learn, and thought "that's great as a new user I can see lot of things that could be improved or missing features. Let's make some nice feedback about it, with nice mockups to get people interested, see what they think of them! That can be a start to learn the code architecture and start contributing".
I don't think features idea should be taken as criticism but rather as opportunity to make things better. I don't want FreeCAD to be a clone of whatever software or I would just use that software. I just want to make the open source version better because I think open-source is the way things should be. You don't have to agree with all my ideas, but then just say why you think this or this is not a good idea in order to get the discussion on.
And again please dont see my post as criticism, I know FreeCAD is a lot of work from a lot of people and that it's awesome. I just want to bring a small stone to the building.