[implemented] select several entities at once for fillets

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: [implemented] select several entities at once for fillets

Post by realthunder »

I am working on releasing of my fork of FC, which had a few conflict because of this recent changes in PartDesign editing. I don't like the way PartDesign highlights geometry references, and how its task panels always force user to switch between different selection modes. So I did some refactoring of my own while resolving the conflicts. As shown in the screencast below, when the task panel is entered, the default selection mode is click and add, right click list item to delete. There is another alternative toggle mode for easier interaction with 3D view directly.

My changes can't be applied to upstream yet, but once my 3D visualization enhancement PR is merged, it will be possible, and there can be a much better user experience.

Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

With the current solution you can use the arrows to select.
I can select in the list view but the selection in the 3d view is not updated.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

realthunder wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:35 pm My changes can't be applied to upstream yet, but once my 3D visualization enhancement PR is merged, it will be possible, and there can be a much better user experience.
Hi realthunder, as always, awesome work! I like this and I am super excited on how FC will become once your big changes will be merged after the 0.19 release.

Concerning my changes: I have to use the fillet dialog every time I work with FC, so almost daily. It was in a bad shape - no highlighting, no multi-selection in the model and no selection to delete several items at once. I think my changes improved the situation a lot. Just today I was working with it a lot and it suits me much better than before.

I am open for further changes and can understand that some prefer a different selection mode. So please put further changes in. For example the FEM dialogs follow a different way on selecting in the object and that is as useful as my solution. So there is not THE best way.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:55 am I can select in the list view but the selection in the 3d view is not updated.
As I explained in my post, the selection in the list is purposely not about highlighting, only about selection for the delete action because highlighting all selected items is counter-productive in my opinion. Of course there are other opinions and if you think all selected items in the list should be highlighted, this can be done.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:55 am
With the current solution you can use the arrows to select.
I can select in the list view but the selection in the 3d view is not updated.
Now I understand what you mean. This is fixed by: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3090

The solution is just so connect to the item change and the click because then all cases are handled.
vocx
Veteran

Re: select several entities at once for fillets

Post by vocx »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:38 pm
vocx wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:40 am I'd also add a button that says "Apply", to show the fillets. I think double clicking is fine, but making it obvious that there is a button to apply would be good; it may also be nice for those that use the keyboard a lot.
A new button does in my opinion not increase the workflow since you have to click it and cannot use the keyboard. Double-clicking is faster because you don't need to move the mouse before.
Hey, look at this thread where the user "doesn't see" the chamfer until he closes the dialog. As I said, double clicking is good, but I think adding a button to "Apply" the chamfer is better for beginners, as double clicking is not intuitive always.

Chamfer seem broken
SvenGoord wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:05 pm OK, I get last. It behave different but work.

When I click add and select edge it just show blue line and not a chamfer. Before it show the chamfer when I select edge.

From before when it not show the chamfer when I click edge it was an error so I always click Remove that edge to stop error message when close. With now it not show chamfer until I close or click "add" again. It is confused for me but work OK this way.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What SvenGoord seems to expect seems to be hardly possible: He wants to see the newly selected edge immediately chamfered/filleted while having the possibility to select additional edges. This means he wants to see a mixture of the new feature - chamfered - together with the old feature - unchamfered. While the topological naming problem is not solved this seemes impossible. I would guess it is far beyond the more cosmetic change Uwe had started with.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
SvenGoord

Post by SvenGoord »

vocx wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:52 pm Hey, look at this thread where the user "doesn't see" the chamfer until he closes the dialog. As I said, double clicking is good, but I think adding a button to "Apply" the chamfer is better for beginners, as double clicking is not intuitive always.
Double-click do nothing but change line color. This show chamfer when clicked worked in early versions of 0.19. I find old version and try to make video. Not ask for impossible just what work last week.
I am taking EASL at night to make my English better. I use VPN for USA better searching
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Maybe I understand better now. vocx was probably talking about editing an existing chamfer by double clicking in the tree.

If you are already editing (or creating) the chamfer, in the current version you can switch to "Add mode" by clicking the "Add" button. You will note that the button stays pressed. As long as you are in this mode you can click all the edges that should be filleted.
End this mode by clicking the "Add" button again and you will see the chamfers.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

vocx wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:52 pm Hey, look at this thread where the user "doesn't see" the chamfer until he closes the dialog.
Well, the dialog logic has changed to make it possible to select several edges at once. I think the tooltips make it clear how to work with the dialog.

By the way, the dialog behavior is now the same as with the FEM constraint dialogs.