PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:03 pm Yes, you nailed it, it is the shadow. How come I didn't think about it? I should make a habit about trying things whithbought shadow. Also in shadow mode I get triangulation? in simulation mode whereas it isn't there if I use "as is" display mode. Should I report things about shadow display mode or leave it at the moment?
There is a setting in both the draw style preference page and each document's property settings, called 'Display Mode'. Well, the full name is 'Shadow Display Mode', since it is under the group 'Shadow'. This allows you to set the display mode override for all objects when shadow draw style is active. Change it to 'As Is', which means no override, and you will get normal display even when in shadow draw style. I shall probably make this default to avoid confusion.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

realthunder wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:28 pm I shall probably make this default to avoid confusion.
Yes, that did the trick with both display of the feature while editing and the triangulation. I had it set to "Flat Lines". I hit another small usability issue tough. Notice in the screenshot below the display mode which is Wireframe.
1- Select an edge -> Fillet
2- Select another edge to be added to the fillet
After the second select, the body is displayed transparent instead of still wireframe blocking subsequent hidden edge selection. Notice the position of the mouse. A face is pre selected instead of the edge underneath it.

Perhaps it's the power of habit but I'm not entirely sold on this way of displaying feature editing. Are there benefits instead of keeping it as it was? Don't get me wrong, you rain with enhancements on FC I just try to wrap my head around this one. Perhaps I just don't see the real advantage.
wireframeSelection.jpeg
wireframeSelection.jpeg (191.45 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

It's quite nice that multibody is working in PartDesign, I think that can benefit the workflow in multiple cases.
However, I like to raise a question about the UI. The little colored flags are very visible in the Tree, and take up a huge space there per feature. IMHO the multipart capability is a limited use workflow, and most people will not use it. I could of course be wrong about that, but I myself do almost never find the need for it and regard it as very specialized.

So maybe it makes more sense to show the flags only if at least two parts exist in the body?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:22 pm Notice in the screenshot below the display mode which is Wireframe.
That effect is activated by the SelectionOnTop option. It will be useful if you have multiple objects, selecting any one will bring it to top and has higher priority for 3D picking. You can easily toggle that option with the shortcut 'V, T'. But honestly, I design this SelectionOnTop mode to be an all purpose super style. When in the transparent view, you can easily see any edges, faces and vertices. Just hold SHIFT, and you can select any hidden edges/vertex. Face is a bit different. SHIFT let you pick the back face, but not the middle ones. CTRL+SHIFT+Wheel used to work and allow you select middel faces, but I just found out it is not working any more. Maybe the recent wheel fix disabled this. Anyway, you can alway use the G, G shortcut for that.

ickby wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:51 am So maybe it makes more sense to show the flags only if at least two parts exist in the body?
Yeah, that make sense. I'll change that.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
C_h_o_p_i_n

Post by C_h_o_p_i_n »

Hi,

I'like to vote against - default on - and configurable for those who won't like to see them.
The Power-User can switch it off in case - but the less experienced user does not need to look/search for.

regards, Stefan
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

I have no bug reports or feature requests this time, I want to get my hands dirty myself.
Two years ago my first pull request was successfully merged. PR1339
With such small projects I try to understand the freecad code base better and better and today's pull request is the continuation of this.
multibodycolor.png
multibodycolor.png (106.33 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
I want all new parts in a multi body to have different random colors. To achieve this, the new parts have exactly the same shape color as the tag. Also the whole function is linked to the existing random color checkbox in the settings menu. Of course this only works if the 'new part' checkbox is pressed.
checkboxcolor.png
checkboxcolor.png (16.62 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
I hope you like the idea and it can be merged,
if you have any suggestions, please let me hear them.

https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/pull/73
Rana

Post by Rana »

Thanks for the updated drafted Pad/Pocket feature with great improvement of Fit function.

For child Thickness Feature, it is not working with drafted Pad . As an end user, I do not understand criticality of code or algorithm and wishing you may find out some way to accomplish it. Anyway this is not hard and fast considering other enhancements to get thickness feature executed.(Fit Function)

Thanks again.

Rana.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Rana wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:40 am For child Thickness Feature, it is not working with drafted Pad . As an end user, I do not understand criticality of code or algorithm and wishing you may find out some way to accomplish it. Anyway this is not hard and fast considering other enhancements to get thickness feature executed.(Fit Function)
Can you please attach some file showing the problem?
Rana

Post by Rana »

Hello realthunder,

It was already posted on 26th Nov in this same subject with the pictures explaining the thickness feature problem with attached file showing correct execution of thickness with regular pad and draft and problem with drafted pad. I'm attaching same file here.

Thanks,

Rana.
Attachments
ThicknessProblemWithDraftedPad.FCStd
Thickness Problem with Drafted Pad
(81.88 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Rana wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:54 am It was already posted on 26th Nov in this same subject with the pictures explaining the thickness feature problem with attached file showing correct execution of thickness with regular pad and draft and problem with drafted pad. I'm attaching same file here.
I am not sure why, but it seems that it only work when 'Intersection' join type. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Padding with draft is done with offset operation, while Thickness also involves offset.