PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PCR

Re: PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

Post by PCR »

OficineRobotica wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 pm
realthunder wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:43 am
[Feature Request]

There are so many features landing in to FreeCAD that it is easy to get lost. With the help of this thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27664

I discovered that it is indeed now possible to extrude closed contours of complex sketches. This is a feature that allot of new users coming from different software's are requesting and I wasn't even aware it is already possible. The feature is just one step away from perfect
Atm we need to export the desired wires to be extruded from inside the sketcher workbench with the "Export selected geometries as one single child object" tool but it would be perfect if we could select the desired wires from the PartDesign workbench > then hit the pad tool and the export mechanism would be automated. It is basically the same mechanism just more user orientated. Would that be possible?

I really really hope that what I have written makes sense but man this would be a killer feature to speed up some workflows.

extrude.jpeg
Thats real nice! Another thing would be that when you export some points will get removes. For example if i export a circle from a sketch i have to ONLY select the circle. If I select the circle and the midpoint of the circle it will not work...
bleber

Post by bleber »

With sub object shapebinder can extract and work with partial sketch parts.
The problem is that the way to select the shape to work is the wire selection and the ideal is to region selection.
In these example I cannot select the arc of the circle because it is an entire circle.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla_2021-05-06_01-05-09.png
Captura de pantalla_2021-05-06_01-05-09.png (192.17 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
Captura de pantalla_2021-05-06_01-05-47.png
Captura de pantalla_2021-05-06_01-05-47.png (228.9 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 pm Atm we need to export the desired wires to be extruded from inside the sketcher workbench with the "Export selected geometries as one single child object" tool but it would be perfect if we could select the desired wires from the PartDesign workbench > then hit the pad tool and the export mechanism would be automated. It is basically the same mechanism just more user orientated. Would that be possible?

I really really hope that what I have written makes sense but man this would be a killer feature to speed up some workflows.
Yup, I get what you mean. As mentioned by some user already, besides using export, you can use SubShapeBinder for that purpose, I can make that automatic.

bleber wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:11 pm In these example I cannot select the arc of the circle because it is an entire circle.
I always want to implement the same sketch face selection mechanism that is available in other CAD, where they auto generate faces for each closed contours in the sketch for the user to select. It is not a easy task, but I'll definitely give it a try one day.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

realthunder wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:51 am Yup, I get what you mean. As mentioned by some user already, besides using export, you can use SubShapeBinder for that purpose, I can make that automatic.
The FreeCAD community loves you :lol:
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

OficineRobotica wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:31 am The FreeCAD community loves you :lol:
+1

A bit off topic (related to "and more"): ATM @realthunder is performing great stuffs about measurement tool and cross section fill hatch texture:

Linkstage3_Measure_n_CrossSection.gif
Linkstage3_Measure_n_CrossSection.gif (681.78 KiB) Viewed 5781 times

That's Christmas everyday! :D

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.28007 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: accc05955a142abc293ac6a925c849b98680d089
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
maxwxyz

Post by maxwxyz »

I'm curious: when will all the great PartDesign features on your fork realistically be integrated into the FC main branch?
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

maxwxyz

Post by maxwxyz »

@david69 this is only the toponaming pasrt. What about all the other great Part Design features? Extrude, Split, Auto Solid,... Is there a way how I (no programmer) can help accelerate the merge?
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

from my point ov view, except to use Realthunder's fork and report bugs, I don't see what else. beware, compatibily with official version is no more 100% guaranted. others may give more advices.
the TNP is the big task for next official version.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

RealThunder (RT for short) version is a fork of FreeCAD, born as a showplace and then became a "slightly different version".

It has many benefits and some drawback, one of them is compatibilty with FreeCAD files, so it is not guaranteed that a design made with "RT branch" will be open in a "stock FC".

The reason is very simple, RT is developing his version with little help from others, and it is difficult for "very few people" to stay in sync with FC that is developed by "few but not very few people".

Notably RT is actively trying to "reduce the gap" coding even for FreeCAD to integrate some (but not all) of this changes and improvements mostly "TNP mitigation" part that is very big and complicated.

So there is no a war between RT and FC, but some thing could be misunderstood:

- RT branch is not a mere show of features that will go in FreeCAD so in this sense is not a FreeCAD "advanced development" version.
- RT is working on improving FreeCAD but his working in "his own" version of FreeCAD too, that have some people that actively use it and are quite happy.
- FC and "RT branch" are not 100% compatible so your mileage may vary, if you make a drawing with "RT Branch" there are some chances that the file loaded in "Stock FC" will not work on some extent and maybe it will result in a total mess. (so keep a backup copy if you want to do this genre of things)

This post was very old when someone has "resurrect it" so I will not pollute more this post. Eventually open a new thread.

Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/