PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
-alex-
Veteran

Re: PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

Post by -alex- »

realthunder wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:42 am I'll try sweep later.
That would be great, thanks for your attention. However, and that just my 2 cts, maybe the improvement of Part_Loft behavior could be more useful than using Part_Sweep? In this way you wouldn't need to modify your taper angle feature and Loft feature would be improved generally speaking. I have no idea how difficult it would be. It's up to you of course, you're the dev. and you've got the skills. I hope you'll find a way to success :)
It's kind of complicated. Because topo naming trace back is ambiguous by nature. I'll probably add a similar command to 'Pick geometry' to offer selection of trace back.
Such trace back system would so powerful to select features, I hope you could success too.

Offtopic: have a good presentation at FOSDEM tomorrow: https://fosdem.org/2021/schedule/event/freecad/
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

I have aproblem when I export a multibody into a step file.

The problem is that each body is saved as a different part.
In the step file there is a PRODUCT('BODY_NAME', 'BODY_NAME', ..)
and a NEXT_ASSEMBLY_USAGE_OCCURRENCE('..','BODY_NAME',..)

Usually, with other CAD systems, a solid body is saved as a:
MANIFOLD_SOLID_BREP('BODY_NAME', ...
a surface is saved as a:
SHELL_BASED_SURFACE_MODEL('SURFACE_NAME', ..)

If I remeber well about one year ago this was also the FreeCAD step export but it has changed.
Would it be possible to revert back to the old (normal) behaviuor ?

For me the main problem is that the assembly structure is not properly handled by my EmCAD software.
To be more precise in the EmCAD software the assembly structure is interpreted as a network of components while
a multibody part is used to define a single component.

But I think that, also in the general usage, a multibody part should not be exported as an assembly.

Thanks
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

wsteffe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:53 pm But I think that, also in the general usage, a multibody part should not be exported as an assembly.
Can you please provide a FreeCAD project file showing the problem you have. Also, please attach your STEP export/import setting here, as shown below.

Screenshot from 2021-02-18 19-15-57.png
Screenshot from 2021-02-18 19-15-57.png (85.8 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

-alex- wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:14 am That would be great, thanks for your attention. However, and that just my 2 cts, maybe the improvement of Part_Loft behavior could be more useful than using Part_Sweep? In this way you wouldn't need to modify your taper angle feature and Loft feature would be improved generally speaking. I have no idea how difficult it would be. It's up to you of course, you're the dev. and you've got the skills. I hope you'll find a way to success :)
Hi, can you please provide a file that shows problem with drafting pad, presumably with sheetmetal?

Such trace back system would so powerful to select features, I hope you could success too.
I have just added this feature. It is accessible through 'Pick geometry' menu. Alt + right click any element in the 'Pick geometry' menu will bring up another menu for element history. Alt + Shift + right click will bring a menu showing derived geometries of that element. These two action can be considered as trace back and forward into the model history. These two actions are available as two dedicated command 'Part_GeometryHistory' and 'Part_GeometryDerived'. But they don't have shortcut assigned by default.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

realthunder wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:18 am Can you please provide a FreeCAD project file showing th
Hello Realthunder,
thanks for your replay.

Actually the problem I had yesterday was solved with a change of my EmCAD software which now may accept that bodies in a component are defined as products in the step file.

But now I have another problem:
At some point of my work the Property Editor disappeared (Combo View was active).
I tried to many actions to reactivate the Property Editor but it didn't work.

Than I tryied to open the file in the normal FreeCAD (instead of your branch).
With this code the Property Editor reappeared but the windows turned wrong: one obave the other.
No way to make them tiled (left|right).

Finally I opened it again with your branch FC and now I have a total mess: vertically aligned windows without any Property Editor.

I have attached the file I was working on but the problem doesn't depend on the file:
Now it starts from the beginning (without opening that file).

Walter
Attachments
CMP_CBAND_FILT.FCStd
(650.07 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

Hello, I have jast removed the directory myhome/.FreeCAD and the property editor has reappeared also in the RT FreeCAD branch.

But the windows are still arragned one above the other which I do not like.

Any hint ?

Walter
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

Finally I was able to put the combo panel on the left side.
Actually it is hovering over the 3D view and it is hiden (transpatent) when the mouse is moved away.
It is nice. But this configuration gets broken when the user plays with the commands in Windows menu (Tile/Cascade/Arrange icons..)
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

Too early to say OK.

Now the windows arrangement seems ok but I have lost the capability to select the geometrical objects in the 3D window.

Is there a way to have all user interfaces working at the same time ? Or the new autohiding IF is still experimental and not yet ready ?

I do not know if this is a general problem or it happens only on my system.

I am using the appimage on Ubuntu 20.04.
May be that in my environment there are some conflictual config files from a previous FC version ?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

wsteffe wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:24 pm Too early to say OK.

Now the windows arrangement seems ok but I have lost the capability to select the geometrical objects in the 3D window.

Is there a way to have all user interfaces working at the same time ? Or the new autohiding IF is still experimental and not yet ready ?

I do not know if this is a general problem or it happens only on my system.

I am using the appimage on Ubuntu 20.04.
May be that in my environment there are some conflictual config files from a previous FC version ?
Can you please report the problem in this thread, preferable with some video showing the problem? You can use 'F4' to turn off overlay completely. And then drag and drop each dock panel to your preferable position.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

Hello RT,

the problem is that I can not select anything inside of the 3D view.
For example I wanted to hide the reference planes shown in the picture but it is not possible to select them in the 3d view.
selectionProblem.png
selectionProblem.png (198.74 KiB) Viewed 3781 times