PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

Post by realthunder »

-alex- wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:11 am I can't get any special menu with Alt+RMB compare with RMB only. Am I wrong?
Please sync my branch first. There are some recent fixes.

You need to use 'G, G' to pick a geometry first, and then Alt + RMB on one of the geometry item to see its history. There are quite a few possibilities with each geometry item. Just in case you forgot, hold on any modifier and move your use over an geometry item in the menu to reveal the tooltips as shown below.
Screenshot from 2021-02-25 11-02-52.png
Screenshot from 2021-02-25 11-02-52.png (61.37 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
This is what a history trace back look like. If you want to trace forward, use Alt + Shift + RMB. You edit it (equivalent to double click) with Shift + LMB.
history-trace.gif
history-trace.gif (269.84 KiB) Viewed 4533 times

BTW, I notice you also have a black background for the pie menu. Please try uncheck the following option and see if it helps. The option is in 'Preferences -> Display -> UI' and scroll it to the bottom.
Screenshot from 2021-02-25 10-36-45.png
Screenshot from 2021-02-25 10-36-45.png (73.24 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
ngocminhdao88

Post by ngocminhdao88 »

Hi realthunder,

can you please explain what does this change do? Does this mean, i can create a subshapebinder object relative to a random coordinate system?

Code: Select all

Sketcher: support cross coordinate linking of external geometry using SubShapeBinder
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

Hello RT,

I have just tried to make a couple of solids inside of a "Body" (which should be renamed to Part).

In my opinion it is OK that you have added the option "New Solid", but it is not enough.
Let consider that you have already created a couple of Solids (S1 and S2) and then you want to add a pad to S1.
It is not sufficient to disable the option "New Solid". A selector is needed to chose the base solid (S1) to which
you want to add (or eventually remove) the new pad. This is the way ZW3D works which I consider very clean.

When there are more closed wires in the sketch, a single Pad generates more Solids. The selector of the base solid should be able to select one of these solids. To make it possible in ZW3D there is a separate folder (displayed just above the feature tree) which contains all the shapes generated by the CAD operations (features). I like to have such a separation between a feature (in example a Pad) and the shapes generated by it. When I need to change the name of a shape (typically a Solid) I may do it in the Shape folder. I do not have to rename the Feature as in other CAD.

With ZW3D the selection of the Base Solid for a new "Pad+Union" is done in the Shape Folder, not in the feature trees.

I am telling all that because your development of the multi-body design WB has just started so that, may be, you could follow an approach similar to ZW3D.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:00 pm In my opinion it is OK that you have added the option "New Solid", but it is not enough.
Let consider that you have already created a couple of Solids (S1 and S2) and then you want to add a pad to S1.
It is not sufficient to disable the option "New Solid". A selector is needed to chose the base solid (S1) to which
you want to add (or eventually remove) the new pad. This is the way ZW3D works which I consider very clean.
Besides 'New solid' option, the other two basic tools for managing solids is 'Split' for splitting and 'Boolean' for fork and merge. See the short video below for a demo. It split the star shape into half, use Boolean with 'New solid' to make the bottom half as a separate solid (i.e. fork), then do a fillet on it, and finally use another boolean to merge back the top half of the star shape. You can choose whether to merge the top half to the fillet solid, or the other way round by setting the tip feature (ALT + click the tag icon of the feature). Most new features are inserted after the tip feature. Split can be used without a face/datum, which simply split a compound of multiple solids, like the compound filter tool in Part WB.

phpBB [video]

When there are more closed wires in the sketch, a single Pad generates more Solids. The selector of the base solid should be able to select one of these solids. To make it possible in ZW3D there is a separate folder (displayed just above the feature tree) which contains all the shapes generated by the CAD operations (features). I like to have such a separation between a feature (in example a Pad) and the shapes generated by it. When I need to change the name of a shape (typically a Solid) I may do it in the Shape folder. I do not have to rename the Feature as in other CAD.
I am not sure this is same as you mentioned here, there is an option to auto group features in a body. Right click the body, and choose 'Toggle solid group'. This will auto group all related feature that forms a model history under the latest feature of that history. There is also the 'Toggle aux group' action to group non-solid features, like sketch, datum, and shape binders.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
_jerz_

Post by _jerz_ »

Am I doing something wrong? Release 2021.02.24 and 2021.02.27 stopped displaying shadows. Draw style "Shadow" displays "No Shading" and on the top of that draw style "Points" displays whatever was selected previously. I'm on Windows 10. By the way, release 2021.02.05 was working fine.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

_jerz_ wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:08 am Am I doing something wrong? Release 2021.02.24 and 2021.02.27 stopped displaying shadows. Draw style "Shadow" displays "No Shading" and on the top of that draw style "Points" displays whatever was selected previously. I'm on Windows 10. By the way, release 2021.02.05 was working fine.
Ouch, forgot to include my build of libCoin in Windows release. Just switched to a new version of LibPack.
_jerz_

Post by _jerz_ »

Thanks realthunder, I truly appreciate your epic work.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

realthunder wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:33 pm You can choose whether to merge the top half to the fillet solid, or the other way round by setting the tip feature (ALT + click the tag icon of the feature)
Ok, so the selection of base feature (for subsequent implicit booleans) is done by setting the tip.
realthunder wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:33 pm Right click the body, and choose 'Toggle solid group'
There is enable/disable "auto solid group" but it doesn't work. I have tried with a sketch containing a few circles. A Pad of it makes a few separate cylinders which always appear as a single label in the Model tree. No matter if "auto solid group" is enabled or disabled.

But I was able to get separate labels using the split tool.

I think there is a problem with the hiding of the members of the Split group (Split_i0, Split_i1, ...)
It is possible to hide/unhide them clicking on the visibility icon but the shortcut (bar) and the right click/hide item don't work.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

_jerz_ wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 am Thanks realthunder, I truly appreciate your epic work.
Thanks for the appreciation. I've just updated Windows release.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

wsteffe wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:30 am There is enable/disable "auto solid group" but it doesn't work. I have tried with a sketch containing a few circles. A Pad of it makes a few separate cylinders which always appear as a single label in the Model tree. No matter if "auto solid group" is enabled or disabled.
Hmm... did you have multiple features in each new solids?

I think there is a problem with the hiding of the members of the Split group (Split_i0, Split_i1, ...)
It is possible to hide/unhide them clicking on the visibility icon but the shortcut (bar) and the right click/hide item don't work.
Oops, will fix soon.