Performance improvements for PartDesign patterns (PR)

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
davidosterberg

Performance improvements for PartDesign patterns (PR)

Post by davidosterberg »

Hi all

This is the discussion thread for PR 4504. That includes some performance improvements for the PartDesign pattern operations (MultiTransform, PolarPattern, LinearPattern, ...).

Benchmark model:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/file ... knurls.zip
partdesign_knurling.png
partdesign_knurling.png (85.16 KiB) Viewed 3468 times

Timing results:

Before
Time until UI becomes responsive after recompute: 3 min 45s

After
Time until UI becomes responsive after recompute: 56 s

Changed behavior
- A change in behavior compared to before, is that the Transform will not fail if one of the feature copies "misses" the base object. Now, a warning will be issued, but the command will carry on and simply keep the first solid (which hopefully is the base object). I think it is also kind of a feature. Edit: If you think that the old feature adds significant value, I think I can add it back. Let me know your thoughts.

- There is no guarantee that entities will have the same naming as before (maybe they do). So there is a risk of topological naming problem in sensitive models.

For sure it would be nice with some support on the testing of this, as there are many Pattern types and potential issues. For example, this PR, if merged may or may not cause topological naming problems in existing models (that are sensitive to that). That may be worth it. Or maybe we should support the old calculation as well, in order to not break old models. That would come with some additional complexity of course.
Attachments
new_behavior.png
new_behavior.png (64.36 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
old_behavior.png
old_behavior.png (61.38 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
Last edited by davidosterberg on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
chennes
Veteran

Re: Performance improvements for PartDesign patterns (PR)

Post by chennes »

What would it take to implement the interruptable progress indicator here? I have not looked into what threading mechanisms we are using elsewhere in FreeCAD, but this seems like it might be a nice place to test out using OpenCASCADE's interruption mechanism and generate a proof-of-concept that can perhaps be applied elsewhere.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

chennes wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 pm What would it take to implement the interruptable progress indicator here? I have not looked into what threading mechanisms we are using elsewhere in FreeCAD, but this seems like it might be a nice place to test out using OpenCASCADE's interruption mechanism and generate a proof-of-concept that can perhaps be applied elsewhere.
Good idea. I didn't know about this possibility. I will for sure look into that.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

This is significant improvement. What could be a good benchmark is to have the exact same part modeled in CSG way with Part/Draft.
If you attach the FreeCAD file I can add it inside.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

openBrain wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 pm This is significant improvement. What could be a good benchmark is to have the exact same part modeled in CSG way with Part/Draft.
If you attach the FreeCAD file I can add it inside.
It should be similar (i had a look in draft array for inspiration):

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/file ... knurls.zip
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here are two examples in the topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55192.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Do I need a self compiled build to test this, or will an update from the PPA tomorrow suffice?
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

Bance wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:13 pm Do I need a self compiled build to test this, or will an update from the PPA tomorrow suffice?
Yes, you will have to self compile the PR to test it out.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

OK, been meaning to do this for a while.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

chrisb wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:29 pm Here are two examples in the topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55192.
Thanks. An initial observation is that the new version is more memory hungry than the old version. This is not surprising, because it is running in parallel. But it may be a practical problem for extreme models like this. I actually ran out of memory on my laptop (8GB ram). Have since increased the swap file and expect the model to compute. But at that point it becomes IO constrained and slow.

Edit: There are still things that can be improved. I am still running out of memory (and I have increased swap file size to 40GB :shock: ). Meanwhile I tried your Draft/Part solution in the linked thread. And it worked in seconds. That is positive news. Time for some further improvements.