Performance improvements for PartDesign patterns (PR)

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Performance improvements for PartDesign patterns (PR)

Post by chrisb »

Parallel execution may bring some relief, but I guess that there is a structural issue. The Python solution of Draft can't be 15-20 times faster than a C++ solution without an overall different approach.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

chrisb wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:56 pm Parallel execution may bring some relief, but I guess that there is a structural issue. The Python solution of Draft can't be 15-20 times faster than a C++ solution without an overall different approach.
You are right. And I found the solution by studying how Part Cut does things. PD can now do the filter model as fast as your solution. The problem is that PartDesign also support overlapping patterns. This means that we will need a hybrid of this method and the old method. I am working on that.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

That sounds very promising. If it cannot be detected automatically, the advantage is still so enormous, that I would even welcome a user decision where he can choose which option he wants to use, including the danger that the fast variant can break the model.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Other CAD software have the same issue with the overlap. but still it they are much faster...
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

I have pushed a new version. Now with huge boost in performance for simple non-overlapping patterns, like Chrisb's filter example.
Now the filter example executes in under 30 s (previously 1h +). Note that the model has to be modified slightly to avoid triggering the overlapping mode.**

performance_filter.png
performance_filter.png (236.67 KiB) Viewed 2342 times

** The sketch attachment offset needs to be modifed so that there is no overlap between the tool shapes (unfortunately the tool shapes are not visible, which makes it hard for the user to notice the problem).

sketch_attachment_offset.png
sketch_attachment_offset.png (62.75 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks! I think it is very well acceptable that the user has to consider certain preconditions when using this feature.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

I have added a property were the user can specify the overlap mode explicitly, in addition to the automatic detection.

overlap_mode.png
overlap_mode.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

Motivation:

1) On some models, such as the original Filter model. The overlap mode is triggered, because the tool bodies are overlapping. But in fact the features them selves are not overlapping so the non-overlap mode is suitable. Leading to a huge time saving.

2) If it is known that the patterned features are close, but non-overlapping, such as in the knurled knob example, explicitly selecting non-overlap mode can speed up the recompute time with 20%. Because the overlap detection itself is costly.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Do you know already the revision number for this feature? I would like to test and document it.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

chrisb wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 am Do you know already the revision number for this feature? I would like to test and document it.
It will only be merged (hopefully) after 0.19 has been released. The changes are local to one class and pretty straight forward so I don’t expect a long code review process. Perhaps it will be be in the development build in a few weeks. Until then the only option is to self compile. This is where it would be nice with the Greenhouse idea that was discussed a few months ago.