Part Design Thickness - Non Implemented features

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bf5man

Part Design Thickness - Non Implemented features

Post by bf5man »

I was playing with the Part Thickness and noticed the Pipe and Recto Verso Modes values don't seem to do anything. The Intersection checkbox also appear do be "useless".

Further investigating in the forum, I found this older thread from 2013: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=4589:
bejant wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:23 pm Mode
Only Skin functions, Pipe and RectoVerso are not implemented yet.
[...]
Intersection specifies how the algorithm must work in order to limit the parallels to two adjacent shapes:
False: (default value), the intersection is calculated with the parallels to the two adjacent shapes;
True: is not completely implemented and therefore is not recommended for use.
Is it still the case that these features are not implemented ?

If so, my advice would be to remove them from the interface to limit the user confusion.

If we do so, then the Mode could default to shell and the Intersection checkbox could default to false and not be exposed anymore.

Thanks,

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b2ca86d8d72b636011a73394bf9bcdedb3b109b7
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
FBXL5

Re: Part Design Thickness - Non Implemented features

Post by FBXL5 »

bf5man wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 am Is it still the case that these features are not implemented ?
I'd like to know this as well. I struggled with these phantom features just recently.

bf5man wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 am If so, my advice would be to remove them from the interface to limit the user confusion.
I second this.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm not aware that anything has been done in that area. As thickness is one of the most picky functions and is heavily affected by topological naming, I have some difficulties to recommend to use it at all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

In case anyone cares: These Modes are still useless in version 0.20 :roll:
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:05 am In case anyone cares: These Modes are still useless in version 0.20 :roll:
I created a GitHub issue report for this: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6885
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

NewJoker wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:39 am
FBXL5 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:05 am In case anyone cares: These Modes are still useless in version 0.20 :roll:
I created a GitHub issue report for this: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6885
Thanks!
I still have no clue how to use Github, but I'm slowly working on that.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

In general this tool does not work. I don't know if devs will ever fix this tool, for 3 hours i am trying to make a shell from a part, still didn't accomplished anything.
Specially to create inwards thickness. I don't know what to do, little free time i get to work on my project i waste in figuring out how to modify my design so freeCAD can work. In short i am modifying my design to fit freeCAD's need,
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

@rahmanshaber : can you provide your file ?
Thickness tool is a very sensitive tool and you can be happy if it works. :mrgreen:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

rahmanshaber wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:20 pm In short i am modifying my design to fit freeCAD's need,
That is indeed currently in quite some cases the only solution. You have to subtract the stuff that Thickness should remove by yourself with appropriate subtractive features or by modeling the inner part separately and then making a boolean cut.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

@Shalmeneser So you guys know about that and i beleive it's one of the most important tool in the part design and devs are avoiding it?

@chrisb I tried different ways, but it doesn't work. If i do the thickness at that low level then what's the point of the freeCAD tools? also the part is too complex to do it manually.

I strongly believe devs needs to fix this tool ASAP, please.