iPad 3 frame for iPad 7 - shape is not a shell

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
3mmanurl

iPad 3 frame for iPad 7 - shape is not a shell

Post by 3mmanurl »

Hi everyone,

my project is to build a frame for an newer and smaller ipad 7 with the shape of an ipad 3. I've found 2 really detailled modells of both ipads online. I want to just divide one from the other.

The problem i got is, that the ipad 3 file is not a shell and Iam not able to do a bool operation with this file :? The file for the ipad 7 is fine and i can do with it what i want.

I tried a lot of things and searched for hours for a solution. Maybe one of you could give me a hint how to convert the ipad 3 file to a closed shell?

Ive uploaded the files here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... 47R0OBS1K2

My freecad Version is 0.18.

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by 3mmanurl on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: iPad 3 frame for iPad 7 - shape is not a shell

Post by chrisb »

There are lots of topics about this.
- Switch to Part workbench
- Create shape from mesh
- Convert to solid

Then continue with the other functions you want to apply.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
3mmanurl

Post by 3mmanurl »

The way you described doesnt work for me. The original file is not a mesh so I cant use the operation "convert to a solid". I tried to convert it to a mesh first to convert it to a solid afterwards, but the result is empty.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

3mmanurl wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:40 pm The way you described doesnt work for me. The original file is not a mesh so I cant use the operation "convert to a solid". I tried to convert it to a mesh first to convert it to a solid afterwards, but the result is empty.
So what is it? The file linked above is private.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
3mmanurl

Post by 3mmanurl »

I am sorry. Now it is public.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The file is a step file, which is very well suitable for being modified with FreeCAD. It is a solid, which can e.g. be used with Part workbench boolean commands.
3mmanurl

Post by 3mmanurl »

When using a boolean cut I get the message "The use of non solids for boolean operations may lead to unexpected results. Continue?". The result is empty - all parts are gone. I think the problem is, that the one file is a solid and the otherone a compound. But like mentinoed before, Iam not able to build a solid of the compound file with the part workbench.

I've upladed the file "Combination ipad 7 & 3.FCStd". There you can see what I want in the end (an iPad 3 shaped iPad 7 frame). Can you try if the opartion works for you?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

When I import IPAD3_ajk, I get two solids. Both show errors on Part->CheckGeometry, but the big piece works anyway. I recommend to import the step not as single object (adjust your settings!) and use only the part you really need, and probably not the fancy button.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

What about rebuilding it based on apples public documents?

They are not that much work
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design