[solved] BUG? mesh/.stl missing features from body

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
teslafly

[solved] BUG? mesh/.stl missing features from body

Post by teslafly »

I am encountering a bug where when you export an stl, or "create mesh from shape" in mesh design workbench, it is missing a pocket that renders/models correctly in part design.

I have attached the design file:
plate_meshbroke example.FCStd
(304.34 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
But it can be clearly seen in screenshots of the body vs mesh
The pockets that widen the internal holes are missing.

body:
body model.png
body model.png (21.99 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
mesh:
mesh model.png
mesh model.png (15.95 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
The missing pocket feature (pocket003) has a blue checkmark, but that shouldn't cause it to render in part design but not be taken by mesh output?
Last edited by jmaustpc on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] to the topic title
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: BUG? mesh/.stl missing features from body

Post by jmaustpc »

Please always post your version data in the manner explained in the forum rules link above this forum.
teslafly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:37 am But it can be clearly seen in screenshots of the body vs mesh
The pockets that widen the internal holes are missing.
That is true for your mesh, perhaps you created it before you made that pocket? I just tried it again in Mesh WB Solid to Mesh, with default settings and it worked first time. You have to have the correct feature selected, when you run that tool, maybe you had a previous feature selected when you meshed the object.

you also have errors earlier in your model history. Errors can in some cases cause your model to not recompute.
Screenshot_20210422_110837.png
Screenshot_20210422_110837.png (107.14 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
here is the same file that you posted but with the new mesh added.
plate_meshbroke example_2.FCStd
(321.04 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Jim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19. Stable PPA
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 9e3b630bbfb6807e93eeffb655e6c20f218644fc
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
plate_meshbroke example_2.FCStd
(321.04 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
teslafly

Re: BUG? mesh/.stl missing features from body

Post by teslafly »

I was not seeing any errors earlier in model history.
I just realized I was accidentally using an older version of freecad (from portable apps) as it was set to autolaunch by file association vs the newest I had installed. Using the newest version and I see the sketch errors which weren't present before. Though they don't appear to be an easy fix.

since this doesn't appear to be an issue on the newest software version, is it possible to "close" a thread?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: [solved] BUG? mesh/.stl missing features from body

Post by jmaustpc »

teslafly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 pm since this doesn't appear to be an issue on the newest software version, is it possible to "close" a thread?
D=Okay no worries, I did it for you. The system has no way to close a topic exactly, but you can click on edit of your first post and then edit the topic title by adding something like [solved] or [user error] or some other short phrase that allows people to see that the matter is resolved.
teslafly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 pm I just realized I was accidentally using an older version of freecad (from portable apps)
Be aware that you can not reliably open a FreeCAD file made in a newer FreeCAD with an older FreeCAD, since that older FreeCAD can not have the ability to understand any new advancements or changes made in the newer FreeCAD. However it will almost always work fine the other way around, that is the new FreeCAD should have no issues reading your old files.
teslafly wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 pm Using the newest version and I see the sketch errors which weren't present before. Though they don't appear to be an easy fix.
Not all errors matter in all cases, for example FreeCAD 0.19 will now show that the sketch is not attached to anything but that is more a warning than an error because there are cases where you didn't intend to attach it, the same with the "sketch not fully constrained" warning.

The error on the "Base Feature" seems to be that you may have deleted the original thing that the base feature was linked to. A base feature appears like a link or clone of the original in some situations, so you appear to have that clo0ne like thing but not the original that it would have been created from.

One of the sketches has 3 malformed constraints, in 0.19 you can click on "select them" and delete those constraints then reapply appropriate constraints.

I suspect your file has become a bit of a mess perhaps through multiple edits and switching (unknowingly) between an old FreeCAD version and the current version. I have only had a quick look at your file as I am in a hurry just now.

Jim