(Solved) Is there any good cause to call a sweep tool pipe?

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FBXL5

(Solved) Is there any good cause to call a sweep tool pipe?

Post by FBXL5 »

Hello,

I'm a little confused...

There is a tool that "sweeps one or more profiles along a path" in the Part WB called Sweep and a tool that "creates a solid by sweeping one or more sketches along an open or closed path" in the PartDesign WB called Pipe.

It seems that they carry out the same task. Why do the have different names?

I think I'm not the first one who stumbled upon it, but my try to find the topic on the forum failed. If this was answered before, please supply a link to the right thread.

Thanx in advance.
Last edited by FBXL5 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Is there any good cause to call a sweep tool pipe?

Post by openBrain »

Part/Sweep can only sweep single closed profile, leading to plain shapes.
PartDesign/Pipe can sweep nested closed profiles, leading to hollow shapes hence 'pipes'.
FBXL5

Re: Is there any good cause to call a sweep tool pipe?

Post by FBXL5 »

openBrain wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:36 am Part/Sweep can only sweep single closed profile, leading to plain shapes.
PartDesign/Pipe can sweep nested closed profiles, leading to hollow shapes hence 'pipes'.
Thanks, that was the hint I needed!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: (Solved) Is there any good cause to call a sweep tool pipe?

Post by chrisb »

Nevertheless is the name misleading, because many PartDesign sweeps have nothing to do with a pipe; look e.g. at all the helices.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:48 pm Nevertheless is the name misleading, because many PartDesign sweeps have nothing to do with a pipe; look e.g. at all the helices.
That is true and I would second a renaming. - For Pipe, not Sweep. And Pad to Extrude as well.

I still struggle with the concept of having two WBs for solid modelling. Now it seems like PartDesign is a strictly solid WB and Part is a hybrid solid + surface WB; and then there's the Surface WB...

If this concept needs different names for the same task in different WBs then it should be more consequent and so rename all PartDesign tools having names that occur in the Part WB.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It seems indeed to be cumbersome to have different names for equivalent tasks. However, this has turned out to be helpful in the communication. Renaming all other PartDesign features will not work, and it wouldn't catch the issue at its root: that there are such equivalent, yet not interchangeable tools after all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.