[Behaviour suggestions] New sketch plane selection

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

[Behaviour suggestions] New sketch plane selection

Post by paddle »

Hey guys,
Just two small behaviour suggestions :
When in part design you want to open a new sketch the 'select feature' widget appears and the 3 planes appears on the viewer.

1 - When trying to select the plane on the viewer, the plane is highlighted/ready to select only when the mouse hovers on/near the lines of the plane or on the font. The issue is that it's only when the mouse is exactly on top of the font. If your mouse is between letters it doesn't select. So any blank place in the 'XY_Plane' doesn't work.
So often when I try to select a plane on the viewer, I reach for it's label, but then you have to adjust the mouse position until you actually hit a letter and can click it.
Ideally it should be clickable anywhere inside the label area/box, preventing this mouse adjusting thing.
Also increasing line thickness would help too.

2 - If you click on the plane in the viewer, the current behaviour is that it selects the XY_PLANE (Base plane) in the 'Select feature' widget. But you still have to click OK in the widget.
Which is a bit inefficient because you have to reach for this button.
It would be best if clicking on a plane in the viewer directly opens the new sketch. It removes the step of reaching the OK button with the mouse.

The plan in image :

Your thoughts?
Last edited by paddle on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Behaviour suggestions] New sketch plane selection

Post by chrisb »

1 - yes pleeeaaase!
2 - yes too; how about a double click?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Double click is a good idea. Currently double clicking does have a behaviour but I don't understand it. It selects a whole box around the planes. I don't think it has any use and is just an unexpected behaviour?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:05 am Double click is a good idea. Currently double clicking does have a behaviour but I don't understand it. It selects a whole box around the planes. I don't think it has any use and is just an unexpected behaviour?
This seems to be the general behaviour of multiple clicks in 3D view, where the first click selects the plane, the second the whole origin, and the third the complete body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:45 am This seems to be the general behaviour of multiple clicks in 3D view, where the first click selects the plane, the second the whole origin, and the third the complete body.
Yes, multiple clicking in 3D view recursively selects parent of already selected object. This will be difficult to change specifically for this case, but maybe possible using a selection filter.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

If it's difficult with double click, I think a single click would be fine too. Maybe even better. And it should be pretty straight forward to do as a modification.

I can't really see a current usecase where user actually needs to select the plane then change things in the widget before clicking ok.
And if user actually has to change some settings in the widget, then it's best that he select the plane in the widget as it's closer to the other settings.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:10 am If it's difficult with double click, I think a single click would be fine too. Maybe even better. And it should be pretty straight forward to do as a modification.
To me it should be OK as long as a single click validates the choice only in 3D View, but not on the Task panel (there you have to explicitly click "OK")
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Yes that's what I had in mind exactly.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Single click would be ok for me too.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

+1